Vacancy Announcement - Administrative Assistant – G5
Title: Administrative Assistant – G5
Department: Pakistan Evidence and Learning Platform (PELP), Green Development and Climate Change Programme (GCP)
Type of contract: Temporary
Date of issuance: 31 October 2017
Deadline for applications: 30 November 2017
Duty Station: Islamabad, Pakistan
Duration of contract: 12 months
In accordance with UN rules and regulations
UNITAR’s Green Development and Climate Change Programme (GCP) develops methodologies, executes training, supports learning strategies, and facilitates knowledge-sharing with the goal to strengthen capacities in developing countries to implement the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and to advance a green, low emission and climate resilient transition.
UNITAR has signed an MoU with the Department for International Development to implement a Pakistan Evidence Learning Platform (PELP) as part of the UK Government’s Multi Year Humanitarian Programme. The PELP aims to strengthen knowledge management processes and achieve real results by ensuring that knowledge is generated, organized, transferred, and utilized for the benefit of the humanitarian system, including the local communities who are most affected by humanitarian shocks and crises.
Under direct supervision of the Pakistan Evidence and Learning Platform (PELP) Manager and within delegated authority, the incumbent is responsible for the following responsibilities and functions
- Assist in the preparation of narrative and financial reports by:
- Coordinating with the focal point of GCP on a regular basis to update on the financial and accounting aspects of the project;
- Assisting in the data collection for narrative reports, including gathering photos;
- Assisting in the data collection for financial reports, including expenditures incurred and projected future expenditures for the project;
- Designing and maintaining a database to systematically track expenditures;
- Supporting financial monitoring of the PELP budget and support timely donor reporting ;
- Ensuring that key project documents are saved.
- Assist in the recruitment and contract management by:
- Supporting the focal point in GCP on all issues related to the recruitment of consultants to the project;
- Gathering all necessary documents for the recruitment process, such as completed vendor forms, CVs and other necessary documents;
- Maintaining a systematic database to keep track of all consultants;
- Ensuring all salary payments or entitlements are handled in a timely manner;
- Providing assistance for organizing interviews if needed;
- Ensuring that key contractual documents are saved.
- Assist in the administration of the project by:
- Managing any travel related queries for UNITAR staff, the project managers and consultants which work on the project;
- Completing mission authorization forms for travelling staff or consultants to Islamabad/Geneva;
- Reviewing and processing requests for entitlements and claims;
- Checking on visa requirements with the relevant authorities if needed;
- Performing a variety of office administrative duties, including managing office supplies and equipment, drafting and processing a variety of correspondence and other communications, etc;
- Providing logistical support for major events or visits;
- Performing other duties as required.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following/supervision:
In addition to direct reporting lines to the PELP Manager, the incumbent will have working relationships with:
- Focal point (or delegated focal point) of the Green Development and Climate Change Programme
- UNITAR Staff at large
- Counterparts in other UN agencies
- Applicants/General Public
- Provision of reliable research, administrative and general office support services.
- Processing work and requisite follow-up with minimal supervision, seeking advice from and/or reporting to supervisor as needed.
- Ensuring the accuracy and completeness of documentation submitted by candidates, staff and offices.
- Accurate preparation of reports.
- Consistent application of appropriate policies, rules, guidelines, procedures and practices.
- Effective delivery of a wide range of administrative and office support functions under moderate supervision.
- Establishment of effective working relationships with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- PELP account regularly monitored.
- Assistance with the preparation of mission authorizations, security clearance and travel claims provided.
- Support to the organization of meetings ensured.
- Documentation for contract issuance and evaluation collected and submitted.
- Contracts for consultants systematically monitored.
Professionalism: Knowledge of Organization’s human resources, financial and administrative policies, procedures and practices, and ability to apply them in an organizational setting; ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations; demonstrated use of initiative and ability to make appropriate linkage in work requirements and anticipate next steps; shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning & Organizing: Effective organizational skills; ability to identify priority activities and assignments; ability to allocate appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; ability to handle a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relations with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets deadlines for delivery of products or services to clients.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Commitment to continuous learning: Keeps abreast of new developments in own field; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
Technological awareness: Proficiency in various office applications; seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Education: Completions of high school or equivalent diploma.
Experience: At least five years of human resources, finance, administration experience, of which preferably within the United Nations or international environment in the field of administration, human resources management, or other related fields.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English; knowledge of Urdu is desirable.
UNITAR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Qualified women, individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups, and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
English and French are the two working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Priority will be given to the applicants from the under-represented regions at UNITAR. There will be a probation period of 3 months.
How to apply
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
Only complete applications will be considered. A letter of motivation written in English well as the P11 form/ Curriculum Vitae are to be sent at firstname.lastname@example.org
UN staff members must submit copies of their latest Performance Appraisal System (PAS) report at the time of application.