SAICM Enabling Activities
In February, 2006, the International Conference on Chemicals Management endorsed the Strategic Approach setting the stage for continued assistance to countries to meet the SAICM's 2020 goal of sound chemicals management. UNITAR has adapted its services to countries in order to fully address the outcomes of ICCM.
UNITAR's Chemicals and Waste Management Programme supports capacity building in developing and transition countries in a wide range of SAICM-related areas to protect human health and the environment from toxic chemicals and wastes. This includes:
- National Chemical Management Profiles—providing guidance, training and technical support to assist countries in assessing their existing legal, institutional, administrative and technical infrastructures for sound chemicals management
- National SAICM Pilot Projects/Integrated National Programmes for Chemicals and Waste Management—assisting countries to establish and strengthen a collaborative framework at the national level which can provide a foundation for effective and coordinated action to address both national chemicals and waste management priorities as well as the implementation of international chemicals and wastes-related agreements and initiatives
- Specialised training and capacity building addressing, for example, the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS),Pollutant Release and Transfer Registers (PRTR), Risk Management Decision Making, and Stockholm Convention implementation
UNITAR Activities under the SAICM Quick Start Programme
During the SAICM development process, countries indicated that initial “enabling” activities are a priority. UNITAR offers assistance to countries for a variety of identified enabling activities for SAICM. For more information, please click here.
Countries Undertaking UNITAR-Supported
Seventy-nine Projects Funded by SAICM Quick Start Programme Trust Fund Undertaking SAICM Enabling Activities with UNITAR Technical Support
To-date, UNITAR is the international executing agency for 79 projects (Rounds 1-12) under the SAICM Quick Start Programme Trust Fund (QSPTF). Projects comprise various activities, such as developing/updating National Profiles, undertaking national SAICM capacity assessment, national SAICM priority-setting, developing national chemicals management databases, SAICM implementation plans, national policies for SAICM implementation, PRTRs, and enabling activities for implementation of the GHS. For more information, please click here.
National SAICM Pilot Projects
UNITAR executed five in-depth country pilot projects—Belarus, Mongolia, Pakistan, Panama, and Tanzania—over a 3-year period (2006-2009) related to SAICM implementation with financial assistance from the Government of Switzerland, as a contribution to the SAICM Quick Start Programme (QSP). Progress was reported to ICCM-2. For more information, please click here.
SAICM Application Opportunities
UNITAR stands ready to assist countries with proposal development and implementation under the QSPTF. For more information, please click here.
Guidance Materials in Support of SAICM Implementation
To support national SAICM implementation and enabling activities, UNITAR is developing/ revising or already pilot testing a number of key guidance materials, including: Preparing a National Profile to Assess the National Infrastructure for Management of Chemicals; Developing a Capacity Assessment for the Sound Management of Chemicals and National SAICM Implementation (available in English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, and Chinese); Developing and Sustaining an Integrated National Programme for Sound Chemicals Management (which could also form the basis for the development of further guidance for SAICM implementation); and Guidance for Developing SAICM Implementation Plans (available in English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, and Chinese). Other guidance materials on relevant topics may also be developed. With the input of all other IOMC organizations, UNITAR developed the document on National Implementation of SAICM: A Guide to Resource, Guidance and Training Materials of IOMC Participating Organizations (currently available in English, French, Spanish, Russian, and Chinese).
Further information about these materials will be placed on this website as it becomes available.
National Profile Programme Supports SAICM Implementation
To date, over 100 countries have completed or are developing National Chemicals Management Profiles as a basic tool to assist with achieving sound chemicals management. Consistent with the 2020 goal of SAICM and WSSD, UNITAR assists countries to ensure that National Profiles provide a solid first step in SAICM implementation. To visit the National Profile Programme homepage, please click here.
Strengthening National and Regional Capacities for SAICM Implementation in Central America and the Dominican Republic
UNITAR and USEPA are supporting a project to strengthen capacities in Central American countries and the Dominican Republic to implement SAICM (2008-2010). The project includes three components: (1) mercury management, (2) PRTR design and (3) SAICM implementation. For more information, please click here.
Strengthening the Role of Civil Society in Chemicals Management and National SAICM Implementation
Civil Society are important actors for SAICM implementation. To support engagement of civil society in SAICM implementation, UNITAR is supporting the International POPs Elimination Network (IPEN) to develop and disseminate SAICM guidance materials for NGOs. And as part of its QSPTF support, UNITAR is also serving as the international executing agency for a civil society project in Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyzstan.
Supporting Services for Capacity Building
UNITAR also executes a number of supporting services for capacity building, including the provision of 'virtual libraries' on CD-Rom on a variety of topics (National Profiles, GHS, PRTR) and the organisation of global thematic workshops to facilitate an exchange of experience and to identify practical steps which countries can take to systematically address certain topics of national chemicals management.
The Thematic Workshop on Governance, Civil Society Participation and Strengthening Partnerships for Chemicals and Waste Management and SAICM Implementation was held from 10-21 June 2006 in Geneva, Switzerland, addressed issues related to SAICM, and also served as a major preparatory event for the National SAICM Pilot Projects (see above). Over 100 persons from a wide and diverse range of governments, NGOs, industry groups, IGOs, labour organizations, and academia participated in the workshop. Sponsors and partners for the event included the Government of Switzerland, OPCW, and organizations collaborating in IOMC. For more information, please click here.
SAICM Regional and Other Meetings
The SAICM Secretariat convenes regional and international meetings related to SAICM outcomes and implementation issues. UNITAR's participation includes the following:
- First meeting of the Open-ended Working Group, Belgrade, Serbia, 15-18 November 2011
- Third Asia-Pacific regional meeting on SAICM and second UNITAR workshop on nanotechnology and manufactured nanomaterials for the Asia-Pacific region, Beijing, China, 5-9 September 2011
- Third Latin America and Caribbean regional meeting on SAICM and second UNITAR workshop on nanotechnology and manufactured nanomaterials for the Latin America and Caribbean region, Panama City, Panama, 30 May-3 June 2011
- Third African regional meeting on SAICM and second UNITAR workshop on nanotechnology and manufactured nanomaterials for the Africa region, Nairobi, Kenya, 4-8 April 2011
- Informal consultation for Arab States on SAICM, Alexandria, Egypt, 14 April 2010
- Second Latin American and Caribbean regional meeting on SAICM, UNEP mercury consultation and associated workshops, Kingston, Jamaica, 8-13 March 2010
- African regional meeting on SAICM, workshops on nanotechnology and industrial chemicals, Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire, 25-29 January 2010
- Asia-Pacific regional meeting on SAICM, consultation on mercury and workshop on nanotechnology, Beijing, China, 23-27 November 2009
Latin American and Caribbean Regional Coordinating Committee Meeting,
Santiago, Chile, 15-16 November 2009
- Second session of the International Conference on Chemicals Management (ICCM2), Geneva, Switzerland, 11-15 May 2009
Caribbean workshop on SAICM and related chemicals and hazardous waste
instruments, Bridgetown, Barbados, 10-13 March 2009
Latin American and Caribbean regional consultation on current
international chemicals management issues, Viña del Mar, Chile, 17-19
- UNITAR attended the Open-ended Legal and Technical Working Group (OELTWG) and informal discussions at FAO headquarters in Rome, 21-24 October 2008
- Second Central and Eastern European regional meeting on SAICM in Bucharest, 8-9 September 2008
- Second African Regional Meeting on SAICM in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, 14-19 June 2008; including a UNITAR side-event entitled "Supporting SAICM Implementation: pilot projects, new guidance materials, and related activities" Download
Latin American and Caribbean regional coordinating committee meeting,
Port of Spain, Trinidad And Tobago, 11-13 June 2008
- Latin American and Caribbean region meeting in Panama City, 14-16 February 2008; including a UNITAR side-event entitled "Supporting SAICM implementation: Pilot projects, new guidance materials, and related activities" Download
- EU-JUSSCANNZ countries meeting in Paris, 12 February 2008
- Pacific Island Workshop in Apia, Samoa, 8-9 November 2007
- Asia-Pacific Regional Meeting in Bangkok, Thailand, 21-23 May 2007; including a UNITAR side-event entitled “Supporting SAICM implementation: Pilot projects, new guidance materials, and related activities” Download
- EU-JUSSCANNZ Meeting in Paris on 12 June 2007
Arab Countries Meeting, 1-2 April 2007; including a UNITAR side-event entitled “UNITAR Training Methodologies of Relevance to SAICM Enabling Activities"
- First session of the International Conference on Chemicals Management (ICCM1), Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 4-6 February 2006
- Central and Eastern Europe Region Meeting in Riga, Latvia, 4-6 December 2006; including a UNITAR side-event entitled “UNITAR Training Methodologies of Relevance to SAICM Enabling Activities” Download
- EU-JUSSCANNZ Countries Meeting in Barcelona, Spain, 20-22 November 2006; including a UNITAR side-event entitled “UNITAR Training Methodologies of Relevance to SAICM Enabling Activities” Download
- Africa Region Meeting in Cairo, Egypt, 11-14 September 2006; including a UNITAR side-event entitled “UNITAR Training Methodologies of Relevance to SAICM Enabling Activities” Download
Please refer back to this page for further updates.
UNITAR/IOMC and SAICM
UNITAR, as a Participating Organisation in the Inter-Organization Programme for the Sound Management of Chemicals (IOMC), was a co-convenor of the preparatory committee process leading to the endorsement of SAICM at the International Conference on Chemicals Management ICCM). The IOMC played an important role overall in the process, providing input in particular on available resources of IOMC Participating Organisations (POs); input regarding the development of an overall capacity building strategy for SAICM implementation; and proposals for strengthening information exchange on capacity building.
To access UNITAR and IOMC documentation related to SAICM development, please click here.
UNITAR Board of Trustees Endorses SAICM
In April, 2006, UNITAR's Board of Trustees officially endorsed SAICM. This will assist with ensuring UNITAR's continued involvement as a partner in the implementation phase of SAICM. Download
24 Jan 2014
17 Jan 2014
17 Jan 2014
16 Jan 2014