E-learning Course on Green Economy
01 September 2014, Geneva, Switzerland. The concept of a green economy encourages countries to explore new patterns of development taking into account economic, social and environmental sustainability considerations. The Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE), which brings together UNEP, ILO, UNIDO, UNDP, and UNITAR, aims to develop national capacities in the area of green economy. Within the framework of PAGE, UNITAR is delivering the e-learning course “Introduction to a Green Economy: Concepts and Applications”, from 27 October – 19 December. Registration is open until 19 October 2014 via the UNITAR Online Catalogue.
This partnership e-course has been designed for a wide audience of civil servants, diplomats, environmental managers, academics, private sector representatives and interested citizens. It aims at enhancing participants’ knowledge of different concepts and facets of the green economy, as well as global, national and sector-specific challenges and opportunities to advance low-carbon, resource efficient and socially inclusive development. Additionally, the future e-students will begin to develop basic skills for applying the green economy concept in a real world economic, policy and/or personal context.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Define the concept of a green economy and explain its value
- Distinguish relevant planning processes in support of a green transformation
- Identify enabling conditions for greening national economies
- Discuss principal challenges and opportunities to advance a green economy
- Recognize the range of international and regional green initiatives and support services to foster green development
- Apply the green economy concept to a real world economic, policy and/or personal context
In December 2013, the course has been reviewed by independent experts in the sphere of e-learning and adult education and awarded the ECB Check Certification, an internationally recognized standard on quality of e-learning education.
Registration is open until 19 October 2014. A number of full and partial fellowships will be awarded to civil servants and NGO representatives from developing countries. Comprehensive information and registration details are available on the UNITAR Online Catalogue.