Principle 10 National Profile and Action Plan Project in Costa Rica
The Ministry of Environment, Energy and Telecommunications (MINAET) of Costa Rica and UNITAR signed a Memorandum of Agreement concerning the project “Preparing a National Profile and Action Plan on the Implementation of Principle 10 of the Rio Declaration” in March of 2007.
- Development of national regulations on access to information, flexible regulations on public participation for various environmental decision-processes, and reform environmental tort law to deter environmental law non-compliance
- Implementation of training programmes for public officials on methods to disseminate environmental information to the public, design and management of public participation processes, and training of judges and prosecutors in environmental matters
- Strengthening capacities of the public (i.e. NGOs, local communities and indigenous groups) to (1) participate effectively in environmental decision-processes, (2) learn about and effectively use channels to access environmental information, (3) better analyze environmental information and (4) understand options to access justice when environmental rights have been infringed
Targeted Capacity Development Action
As a follow-up capacity building activity to support the implementation of Costa Rica’s Action Plan, UNITAR supported a project entitled “Implementation of Principle 10: Construction of a Participatory Space for Environmental Quality Management” (2009-2011). The project aimed at reinforcing the participation of local stakeholders in environmental quality management through a series of five workshops at the local level.
A major output of the project is an educational document that provides guidance to local authorities on how to develop environmental quality management plans. The document takes a results-based approach and includes practical instructions and exercises.
Project website: http://www.digeca.go.cr/goberna/goberna_proyectomuni.html
- National Planning Workshop Report
- National Profile
- National Priority Setting Workshop Report,
- Action Plan
- Executive Summary
- Final Report of National Profile and Action Plan Project
- Educational Document on "Governance and Environmental Quality Management"
- Final Report of Environmental Quality Management Project
16 Sep 2014
05 Sep 2014
02 Sep 2014
21 Aug 2014
- 1 of 119