Principle 10 National Profile and Action Plan Project in the Dominican Republic
The Secretary of State of the Environment and Natural Resources of Dominican Republic and UNITAR signed a Memorandum of Agreement concerning the project “Preparing a National Profile and Action Plan on the Implementation of Principle 10 of the Rio Declaration” in March of 2007.
The national project coordinator was Ms. Martha Pérez, Undersecretary of State, with Mrs. Mariana Perez, Director of Environmental Information serving as focal point. A National Coordinating Team was established to guide and oversee the project implementation.
- Implementation of a training programme to build capacities of government officials on participatory governance, including designing and managing participatory processes, creative approaches for public participation and tools for conflict resolution
- Legal development and reform, including: development of a public participation act conferring rights and obligations for participation of citizens in environmental decision making; changes in the criminal procedure code enable effective access to justice; and creation of legal guarantees for environmental whistle blowers
- Strengthening capacities of the public (i.e. NGOs, local communities and indigenous groups) to: know about legal provisions on access to information, public participation and access to justice in order to participate more effectively in environmental decision-processes and access courts when rights are infringed
- Strengthening technical capacities of the judiciary and law practitioners on environmental evidence
- National Planning Workshop report
- National Profile
- National Priority Settings Workshop report
- Action Plan
- Executive Summary
- Final Report