Chairing International Meetings and Working with the Chair
Specific Target Audience:
Duration of event:
Event focal point email:
Event focal point Contact Number:
Other events details:
The value of this workshop is to provide information, skills and guidance to delegates who may be appointed or elected to chair meetings and to enable all delegates to understand what the chairman is doing, and why he or she is doing it. Indeed, all delegates who wish to influence the outcome of a meeting need to work with and through the chairman and support the chairman’s efforts.
At the end of the workshop, participants should be able to:
- Define and analyse the role of the chairman;
- Use acquired skills and knowledge to prepare for and efficiently chair a meeting;
- Apply skills of chairmanship to deal with political or technical challenges and tensions;
- Define acquired skills to influence the outcomes of a meeting by working with and through the chairman;
- Use acquired skills and knowledge to work with and through the chairman in formal and informal parts of a meeting.
Content and Structure
This workshop aims to equip participants with the knowledge and skills to successfully chair a meeting or international conference, as well as understand and work with whoever is appointed to this position, thereby contributing to the success of such an event.
The methodology of this workshop includes:
- Interactive presentations;
- Role playing exercises and peer review discussion of each other’s performance;
- Best practice illustrations;
- Advice on how to avoid common mistakes of chairing and participating in meetings and promotion of strategies of chairmanship that have worked well in UN meetings.
This workshop targets members of Permanent Missions accredited to the Rome-based UN agencies as well as staff of Rome-based embassies, international or regional organisations, funds and programmes. UNITAR reserves the right to make a selection among candidates.
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Mode of Delivery