CIFAL Kuala Lumpur: Financing of Sustainable Urban Transportation in the Asia-Pacific Region
Duration of event:
Event focal point email:
Other events details:
Deadline for application: 10 May 2012
Promoting sustainable transport systems has been a major challenge for local governments in many cities in Asia and the Pacific region due to various reasons, including lack of political will and vision as well as coordination of a wide range of interest groups and sufficient technical and personal capacity to design and implement policies. Often, transport issues are tackled as one single sector and not as a part of an integrated urban planning approach.
The Sustainable Transportation Systems Training Course is held annually under the framework of the Kuala Lumpur Regional Training Centre (KLRTC) or CIFAL Kuala Lumpur. The training provides excellent examples how local governments have effectively developed and promoted public transport operations and management, in Asia, and in other developed country contexts as well. It also emphasises how integration into a broader framework of city planning (e.g. a Master Plan) is essential in order for a sustainable system to operate.
The workshop aims to share lessons learnt on meeting transport challenges through best and failure practices applied in this region, focusing on the theme of sustainable and integrated urban transportation planning in the Asia-Pacific region.
The workshop will also serve as a platform for local governments to network and develop the city‐to‐city cooperation and partner with private sector towards implementing lessons learned through action plans.
This workshop will enable participants to:
- To review regional good practices, lessons learned, and key municipal challenges in sustainably planning and financing transport projects in an urban context
- To compare regional municipal experiences in policy development for urban transport projects
- To recommend practical actions for possible local level implementation towards greener and more financially sustainable solutions for urban transport management
Content and Structure
The programme will consist of the following content:
- Keynote seminars on urban transportation
- Sessions examining challenges in planning and financing Asian urban transport
- Specific site visits
- Policy Planning in public transport
- CITYSHARE methodology in shortened format
The programme is structured into the following sessions:
- Topic A: Understanding Challenges of Sustainable Transport in Asia
- Topic B: Policy Planning in Public / Private Transport Projects
- Topic C: Local Municipal Experiences in Financing Sustainable Urban Transport
- Topic D: Co‐Benefit for Transport and Environment
- Topic E: Kuala Lumpur and Klang Valley Site Visits
- Topic F: Sustaining High Quality Public Transport Systems with Private Sector Partnerships
- Topic G: Action Plans and implementation
Workshop CITYSHARE Methodology :
- Keynote Presentations and Participatory Discussions
- Focus groups
- Case Studies from Local Governments and Analysis
- Site Visits
- Development of outcome-oriented action plans, for short-medium term follow-up on results attained from participation in training
This is a workshop for city managers, engineers, transportation planners, and those who are directly involved in sustainable urban transportation in their cities/organisations within the Asia-Pacific region.
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Mode of Delivery