CIFAL Scotland: Renewable Energies for Developing Countries: Environmental Necessity – Economic Opportunity
Duration of event:
Event focal point email:
Other events details:
The registration is closed
Deadline for registration: 23 September 2013
“Sustainable energy—energy that is accessible, cleaner and more efficient—powers opportunity. It grows economies. It lights up homes, schools and hospitals. It empowers women and local communities. And it paves a path out of poverty to greater prosperity for all.” UN Sustainable Energy for All
The course aims to enhance the capacity of local decision makers, energy/sustainable development officers and other personnel to make an informed decision on which renewable energy technologies will meet their own needs or the needs of their countries, communities, villages or neighbourhoods. Through a discussion of key benefits and suitability for a range of applications, together with extensive case studies, the programme aims to provide an overview of clean, secure and sustainable technology options for the development and offer insights into the management of renewable energy projects, from small scale, through to major projects.
- Determine how renewable energy technologies can help to drive sustainable development;
- Discuss the role that energy plays in advancing the Millennium Development Goals;
- Explain the benefits and drawbacks associated with a range of sustainable technologies and how they may be integrated;
- Apply basic principles to determine the most appropriate renewable energy strategy in a given situation;
- Compare and assess different business models and their suitability for different energy solutions;
- Identify and use tools to overcome barriers achieving sustainable energy goals;
- Share best practices of their communities
Content and Structure
The course is composed of 8 modules:
- Module 1: The Role of Energy in Society: A Global Perspective
- Module 2: Selecting a Sustainable Energy Solution
- Module 3: Elements of a Sustainable Energy Solution
- Module 4: Solar Energy and its Applications
- Module 5: Biofuels and Biomass
- Module 6: Wind
- Module 7: Marine and Hydro
- Module 8: The Role of the Public and Private Sectors in Ensuring the Development of Low Carbon Energy Solutions
The course is for those in the business, non-profit, public and academic sectors who are wishing to install renewable energy systems in both urban and rural settings or simply make their contribution to reducing carbon emissions through energy efficiency and use of sustainable energy sources.
- Platform: Windows XP sp3, Vista sp2, Windows 7 sp1, MacOS X.
- Hardware: 2 GB of RAM and higher for Vista and Windows 7.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint and Adobe
- Acrobat Reader (downloadable for free at adobe.com).
- Browser: Internet Explorer 8 or higher; Mozilla Firefox 8 or higher.
- Internet connection: 128kbps and higher.
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Mode of Delivery