Conflict Resolution [PTP.2014.07E]
Duración del evento:
Event focal point email:
Otros detalles del evento:
The registration is closed
Deadline for registration: 5 Febrero 2014
Conflict resolution is the set of methods and approaches used to facilitate the peaceful de-escalation and termination of a conflict. Defined broadly, it may include democratisation or even development. Indeed, political participation through democratic processes may be a method to avoid conflict in the first place or at least to ensure the fair treatment of the causes of the conflict. Alternatively, conflict resolution can be defined more narrowly to refer solely to those efforts undertaken to resolve conflicts directly through communication (negotiation, mediation, peace conference, diplomacy, etc.).
Objetivos del Evento
The course explores traditional and alternative techniques in conflict resolution with a narrow focus on activities which directly aim at resolving international conflicts through communication. The course explores existing conflict and conflict resolution theories, methods and practices relevant for the resolution of conflicts in which United Nations peace operations are deployed.
Objetivos de Aprendizaje
- Distinguish and apply conflict and conflict resolution theories;
- Apply conflict resolution tools to a current conflict;
- Describe and discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the main diplomatic tracks in light of a case study;
- Appraise mediation and negotiation techniques;
- Prepare for negotiations and mediation in a current conflict;
- Discuss the role of the United Nations and regional organisations in conflict resolution.
Contenido y Estructura
- Module 1: Research on conflict resolution
- Module 2: Introduction to conflict resolution
- Module 3: Diplomatic tracks in conflict resolution
- Module 4: Methods in conflict resolution
- Module 5: The United Nations and regional actors in conflict resolution
- Have a sound understanding of the structure and functioning of a peace operation;
- Have a university degree in a relevant area with proven interest in the specific topic covered by the course (BA or equivalent) or the equivalent working experience in a relevant field (2 to 4 years);
- Have good command of English language (reading and writing);
- Be computer literate.
- Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP or superior; MacOS 9 or MacOS X.
- Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (download for free at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html).
- Adobe Flash Player (download for free at http:/get.adobe.com/flashplayer)
- Microsoft Office (Windows or Apple version) or Open Office (download for free at http://www.openoffice.org )
- Modem: 56 K
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Modelo de Aprendizaje
- Cara a cara (presencial)