Defence Sector Reform E-learning Course
Duración del evento:
Event focal point email:
Otros detalles del evento:
Effective, accountable, efficient, and professional national security forces and oversight institutions are recognized as a vital part of securing sustainable peace and stability, and are an essential benchmark for the withdrawal of peacekeepers. While DSR has traditionally not been a core competency, it is increasingly deemed an essential component of peacekeeping operations. Due to the fact that a growing number of UN political and peacekeeping missions have a mandate to support national governments with the professionalization or development of armed forces and oversight institutions, it is critical that there is a fundamental understanding of DSR. In this context, this manual and E-learning will provide fundamental support for the implementation of DPKO’s SSRU. It is envisaged that the manual and E-learning content will examine the DSR policy, the distinction with SSR, the implications for post conflict mandates and the actors involved in DSR. It may also include merits of more explicit engagement by the UN in DSR, the possible forms that such engagement might take, and the resources and capacitates that this might require. Further, it will provide tangible evidence that DSR is a real element of UN peacekeeping, and not an abstract or policy addition of SSR.
Objetivos del Evento
Enhance UN military, staff and Member States knowledge on concepts and the implementation of DSR mandates under the relevant resolutions;
Mainstream Defence Sector Reform into UN peacekeeping and political mission mandates;
Raise participants’ awareness to context and challenges for operationalizing DSR in post conflict environments.
Objetivos de Aprendizaje
- Enhanced knowledge leading to strengthen DSR mandate as part of the Security Sector Reform in UN peacekeeping
- Understand the various Security Council resolutions of SSR and DSR, and they promote peace and security
- Better prepared military and police for deployment in UN peacekeeping
The methodology is clearly described in the Course Overview module. The course was designed in the contexts of conversations between a professional who just came back from the field, knowledgeable of UN DSR and a person to be deployed in a mission, unfamiliar with the policy. In designed scenarios, trainees will learn by absorbing multimedia information, doing learning activities, referring to real cases, and reflection on personal experience. There is a clear alignment between the learning objectives, materials, activities and assessment.
- UN troop contributing countries deployed in the field and UN personnel prior to deployment in the field as well as the host state of the mission.
- UN staff, in particular from Member entities of the IASSRTF.
- A broader audience could include Member States concerned with UN peace operations mandates and representatives from non-governmental organizations who cooperate (or seek to cooperate) with the United Nations peacekeeping activities.
This E-learning course has been adapted specifically to full-time professionals with limited learning time, especially the learners deployed in the field under unstable circumstances. The four-module course will be delivered over a period of four weeks, for a total of about 4 learning hours.
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Modelo de Aprendizaje
- Cara a cara (presencial)