Enhancing Good Governance In International Development
Duración del evento:
Event focal point email:
Otros detalles del evento:
Good governance is becoming an increasingly important issue in international development for donors, practitioners and policy makers. There is an increasing demand on behalf of the world’s poor and dispossessed for greater transparency, accountability, and better governance in international development. Good governance is central to achieving the overarching objective of reducing poverty and improving aid effectiveness. This UNITAR e-learning course aims to provide participants information and understanding of the concept of good governance, its definitions and principles so far developed by a number of multilateral development institutions. The course will examine various questions, such as a) whether good governance matters in development, b) why it is important to address governance issue? and c) what are the major governance challenges facing developing countries? A successful completion of this course will enable participants to synthesise the fragmented ideas of governance that are frequently propounded, to improve governance by understanding and incorporating the internationally accepted governance norms, and to implement good governance standards in their work.
Objetivos de Aprendizaje
At the end of the course, the participants should be able to:
- Construct a clear picture of the fragmented idea of ‘good governance’ and its significance in international development;
- Identify various governance challenges facing developing countries;
- Identify critical interventions that impact positively on governance at global, regional and local level;
- Understand the role of international institutions in promoting good governance;
- Use reasonable judgment to establish a link between good governance and the effectiveness of an international organisation;
- Learn lessons from different country studies about the impact of good governance on development;
- Analyse and incorporate good governance principles in the work of their organisations.
Contenido y Estructura
This online course will cover the following modules:
- Module I: Introduction to the Concept of Good Governance
- Module II: Designing Governance Interventions and Internationally Accepted Governance Norms
- Module III: Adherence to Good Governance by International Institutions
- Module IV: Good Governance and Development – Country Case Studies
In order to ensure the best possible outreach, the course will be delivered through e-learning. Through a multiple-instructional setting, the goal is to achieve the learning objectives by means of learning technologies that match personal learning styles, and by the inclusion of non-linear learning, the course aims at the development of just-in-time skills of adult learners. At the same time, in order to allow participants the maximum flexibility of scheduling, the learning will be conducted in an asynchronous manner. Using a state-of-the-art training architecture, UNITAR will combine self-learning with assessments and online discussions. The pedagogy - adapted specifically for professionals in full-time work - will help train participants through various experiences: absorb (read); do (activity); interact (socialize); reflect (relate to one’s own reality).
This course is an intermediate level course for which the intended audience are government officials, administrators, parliamentarians, senior and middle managers, policymakers, project specialists and strategy officers who are responsible for continued improvement and transparency by effectively incorporating and implementing good governance standards in their work and thus contribute effectively to the growth and development of their nations.
A certificate of completion will be issued by UNITAR to all participants who complete the course-related assignments and assessments successfully. Course schedule is subject to change. Course fee is non-refundable but transferrable to another course or participant and subject to change as per UNITAR's policy on pricing.
Recommended hardware and software requirements for taking our e-learning courses:
- Platform: Windows XP sp3, Vista sp2, Windows 7 sp1, MacOS X.
- Hardware: 2 GB of RAM and higher for Vista and Windows 7.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint and Adobe Acrobat Reader (downloadable for free at adobe.com).
- Browser: Internet Explorer 8 or higher; Mozilla Firefox 8 or higher.
- Internet connection: 128kbps and higher.
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Modelo de Aprendizaje
- Cara a cara (presencial)