International Environmental Governance 2013
Duración del evento:
Event focal point email:
Event focal point Contact Number:
Otros detalles del evento:
The registration is closed
Deadline for registration: 12 Marzo 2013
Multilateral environmental agreements (MEAs) are the predominant legal method for addressing transboundary environmental problems. Nowadays States, particularly least developed countries and developing countries, face the challenge of implementing over 300 MEAs with limited technical, financial and human resource capabilities. Several countries need to develop their capacities for the better implementation of environmental obligations at the national level in order to ensure adequate application and compliance of MEAs. Thus, training and capacity development are key resources for effective global environmental protection.
UNITAR is aware of the fact that States need to enhance their national capacities in order to meet their environmental obligations. For this reason UNITAR offers the Series of e-Learning Courses on International Environmental Law that is composed of 4 courses.
Objetivos del Evento
The e-Course on International Environmental Governance is the second course of the Series of e-Learning Courses on International Environmenal Law. The overall goal of this course is to provide participants with a comprehensive knowledge of the role of the main actors involved in the development of international environmental law who formulate policy instruments and negotiate and conclude Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs). This knowledge is necessary to identify the shortcomings of the current international environmental governance regime.
Objetivos de Aprendizaje
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
• Define the concept of International Environmental Governance (IEG) and identify its main actors.
• Identify the main elements of IEG and list the fundamental principles of good environmental governance.
• Identify the role of the United Nations bodies, agencies and programmes for development and implementation of international environmental law and policy.
• Identify and describe the role of MEA bodies and Non-State actors in international law and policy-making and in their implementation.
• Recommend a specific legal instrument to deal with a particular international environmental problem and consider a more suitable forum to negotiate such a legal instrument.
• Identify the shortcomings and strengths of the current IEG regime and describe the approaches for reforming it.
• Recommend a particular approach for reforming the current IEG regime.
Contenido y Estructura
The e-Course on International Environmental Governance is the second course of the UNITAR Series of e-Learning Courses on IEL and it can be taken separately from the other courses of the Series. The e-Course is composed of following four interactive lessons:
Lesson 1: General Introduction
Lesson 2: Elements of International Environmental Governance
Lesson 3: Regional Environmental Governance
Lesson 4: Reform of International Environmental Governance
The e-Course will be conducted in English and be delivered over two weeks starting on Monday,11 March 2013. The successful completion of the course requires an average study-time of 10 hours per week.
The e-courses will be given through UNITAR’s virtual platform. Thus, participants need a minimum hardware and software equipment (nearly all computers fit this) and basic computer skills such as logging into websites, navigating the Internet, using Microsoft Word, uploading/downloading documents, and of course a reliable Internet connection.
Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, 2003, 2007, NT, ME or XP; MacOS 9 or MacOS X.
Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space.
Software: Adobe Acrobat Reader (download for free at http://get.adobe.com/fr/reader/
Modem: 56 K.
The assessment activities prepared to evaluate the extent to which participants meet the Learning Objectives are based on sound adult learning pedagogical principles. They include:
- Taking online self-assessments in the form of quizzes.
- Analyzing case studies which allow participants to apply the knowledge freshly acquired to a practical exercise.
- Drafting short written essays related to the course content which are evaluated by the course moderators.
- Participating in discussion forums which are lead by course moderators who reply to participants’ contributions and summarize the issues discussed.
In order to assure interactive exchange as well as provide participants with personalized learning assistance the number of participants will not exceed 30.
The course will be moderated by Dr. Lothar Guendling.
Participants who successfully complete the course will receive a Certificate of Participation issued by UNITAR. Participants who successfully complete all four e-courses of the Series will receive a Certificate of Completion (even if the e-courses were taken in different sessions).
- Government officials from ministries of environment and related ministries such as agriculture, forest, water, tourism, foreign affairs;
- International civil servants and NGO representatives working in the field of environmental law, environmental management, international relations, international politics and other areas relating to sustainable development;
- Judges, prosecutors and lawyers dealing with environmental issues;
- Academics, private sector professionals and graduate students who would like to specialize in international environmental law.
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Modelo de Aprendizaje
- Cara a cara (presencial)