International Environmental Negotiations (April 2014)
Duración del evento:
Event focal point email:
Otros detalles del evento:
The registration is closed
Deadline for registration: 8 Abril 2014
Multilateral environmental agreements (MEAs) are the predominant legal method for addressing transboundary environmental problems. Nowadays States, particularly least developed countries and developing countries, face the challenge of implementing over 300 MEAs with limited technical, financial and human resource capabilities. Several countries need to develop their capacities for the better implementation of environmental obligations at the national level in order to ensure adequate application and compliance of MEAs. Thus, training and capacity development are key resources for effective global environmental protection.
Objetivos del Evento
The overall goal of this course is to provide participants with a comprehensive introduction to a specialized topic in the field of international relations which is steadily growing in importance. Thus, the course presents concepts, processes and techniques on negotiation in general and multilateral negotiations in particular before considering the distinctive features of environmental negotiations. In addition, the course offers practical skills development for successful participation in an international environmental negotiation.
Objetivos de Aprendizaje
- Define intergovernmental negotiation and develop an understanding of the factors shaping the behavior of negotiators.
- Explain the dynamic nature of international negotiations, describing the tools that negotiators use to achieve their ends.
- Describe the characteristics of multilateral negotiations and differentiate between the groups of actors involved.
- Develop an understanding of the institutional context in which multilateral negotiations take place.
- Distinguish environmental negotiations from other types of international negotiations.
- Develop an understanding of the importance of the identity and personality of negotiators
- Identify the best strategy and negotiation skills to be used in an international environmental negotiation.
Contenido y Estructura
The Course is composed of following lessons:
The course design allows participants to actively interact with their peers and the moderator. Guided discussion forums are organized on selected topics to allow experience and knowledge sharing. Participants also have the opportunity to work with practical examples, analysing case studies and conducting short research.
This course is designed for government officials from ministries of the environment, agriculture, forests, water, tourism and foreign affairs. It also targets international civil servants, NGO representatives, judges, prosecutors and lawyers working in the fields of environmental law/management, international relations/politics and sustainable development. Additionally, it is directed at academics, private sector professionals and graduates interested in specializing in International Environmental Law.
Certificates: Participants who successfully complete all the course activities and assessments will receive a Certificate of Participation issued by UNITAR.
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Modelo de Aprendizaje
- Cara a cara (presencial)