Introduction to a Green Economy - Concepts and Applications, 3rd Edition
Duración del evento:
Event focal point email:
Otros detalles del evento:
The registration is closed
Deadline for registration: 10 Junio 2013
The concept of a green economy is receiving increasing international attention, as countries explore new patterns of development that take into account economic, social and environmental sustainability considerations. The recent UN Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20), June 2012, reaffirmed the role of a green economy in achieving sustainable development. The ability of national actors to act on the green economy is key for effective policy making and achieving tangible results. To address this challenge, United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) is working closely with UNEP, ILO and UNIDO in a new Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE), with a focus on national capacity development.
In order to provide interested stakeholders from government, business, civil society and academia with an introduction to the green economy concept UNITAR, together with PAGE partners, is delivering an interactive e-learning course from 27 May to 19 July 2013.
Objetivos del Evento
Participants will learn about different concepts and facets of the green economy, as well as global, national and sector-specific challenges and opportunities to advance low-carbon, resource efficient and socially inclusive development. Additionally, participants will begin to develop basic skills for applying the green economy concept in a real world economic, policy and/or personal context.
Objetivos de Aprendizaje
After completing the course, participants will be able to:
- Define the concept of a green economy and explain its value
- Identify enabling conditions for greening national economies
- Identify principal challenges and opportunities for greening key economic sectors
- Describe national planning processes in support of a green transformation
- Recognize international and regional initiatives and support services to foster green development
- Apply the green economy concept to a real world economic, policy and/or personal context
Contenido y Estructura
The course is composed of 5 modules:
- Module 1: Introduction to a Green Economy: Rationale, Concepts and Principles
- Module 2: Enabling Conditions for Advancing a Green Economy
- Module 3: Greening the Economy: Sectors and Strategies
- Module 4: Developing a Balanced and Inclusive Green Economy
- Module 5: International Developments and Support to Advance a Green Economy
The total number of learning hours is 40 over an 8 week period. Weeks 1-5 encompass the 5 Modules listed above. Weeks 6-8 are reserved for wrap-up and completing course assignments
The course is adapted to professionals in full-time work. Participants are provided with the opportunity to learn through various experiences: absorb (read); do (activity); interact (socialize); and reflect (relate to one’s own reality). The reading of an e-book is complemented by a range of learning activities and experiences that include interactive exercises, discussion forums, and an applied case study.
- Assessment tests appraise the comprehension of the key facts and concepts at the end of each module.
- Discussion forums foster interaction and reflection on a specific issue selected either by the course moderator or participants.
- An applied case study provides participants with the opportunity to apply the green economy concept in the framework of a real world situation. Participants will identify the problem context, relevant issues, define appropriate measures, and develop a green action plan for a particular setting. Each case study is peer-reviewed by a group of course participants.
The course targets groups and individuals that are interested in obtaining a general understanding about the green economy concept and latest developments. They include:
- Civil servants in national Ministries, provincial departments and local authorities
- Diplomats from Permanent Missions and Ministries of Foreign Affairs
- Environmental managers in private sector and civil society organizations
- Faculty, researchers and students
- Interested citizens
Certificate of Completion
A Certificate of Completion will be issued by UNITAR to all participants who complete the course-related assignments and assessments successfully.
Access to internet is an essential condition for participation. UNITAR recommends the following as a minimum in hardware and software to take our e-Learning courses. Please consult your Network Administrator or Systems person to ensure that you have the following:
- Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP or superior; MacOS 9 or MacOS X; Linux
- Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space
- Software: Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe Flash Player, Microsoft Office (Windows or Mac) or Open Office
- Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or higher or Firefox 3.6 or higher
- Modem: 56 K
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Modelo de Aprendizaje
- Cara a cara (presencial)