Introduction to Peace Operations [PTP.2014.23E]
Duración del evento:
Event focal point email:
Otros detalles del evento:
The registration is closed
Deadline for registration: 17 Septiembre 2014
Peacekeeping is one of the many tools employed by the United Nations and other international organizations to help address diverse threats to international peace and security. Since its inception, peacekeeping has contributed to preventing and managing violent conflict between and within States and to the support of national actors in protecting and building peace after conflict. Today, with over 116,000 personnel deployed in 15 missions, the scale of the United Nations’ involvement in peacekeeping operations is unprecedented and the diversity of mission mandates has the diversity of mission mandates requires the UN to deliver on an ever-increasing number of tasks.
Objetivos del Evento
The goal of this course is to review the organization of peacekeeping operations by providing an overview of the framework in which they are developed, studying their overall structure, and discussing the roles and responsibilities of the different actors involved.
Objetivos de Aprendizaje
- Define the framework of UN peacekeeping operations;
- Explain the procedures for the establishment of a UN peacekeeping operation;
- Analyze the key factors that enable the effective implementation of an operation's mandate;
- Summarize key standards of conduct and discipline for UN peacekeepers.
Contenido y Estructura
- Module 1: Overview of a UN peacekeeping operation
- Module 2: Establishment and functioning of a UN peace operation
- Module 3: Effective mandate implementation
- Module 4: Standards and values of UN peacekeepers
The key concepts of each module are introduced by lessons, videos and case studies. These concepts are then applied through the scenario-based activities. The scenarios are based on real-life situations which allow participants to work on challenges they are likely to face in their workplace. To facilitate collective knowledge construction and experience sharing among the different components of peace operations (military, civilian and police) several discussions are organized in each module.
Courses address a broad audience of civilians, such as students, researchers, academics and individuals from governmental and non-governmental organizations, as well as national and regional military and police personnel of every rank and function interested and/or involved in peace operations.
Please note that UNITAR PTP fellowships are awarded only to a small numbers of applicants from the Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and are not differed or transferred to another course. You might wish to refer the UN-OHRLLS list by clicking here.
- Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP or superior; MacOS 9 or MacOS X.
- Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (download for free at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html).
- Adobe Flash Player (download for free at http:/get.adobe.com/flashplayer)
- Microsoft Office (Windows or Apple version) or Open Office (download for free at http://www.openoffice.org )
- Modem: 56 K
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Modelo de Aprendizaje
- Cara a cara (presencial)