Protection of Civilians in Peace Operations [PTP.2014.19E]
Duración del evento:
Event focal point email:
Otros detalles del evento:
The registration is closed
Deadline for registration: 28 Mayo 2014
Systematic violence and mass atrocities against civilians increasingly occur in armed conflicts. Millions of individuals have lost their lives, while tens of millions more have been displaced from their homes. In war-torn societies, civilians – in particular women and children – have suffered from gross violations of human rights and political, psychological and economic repression that have become part of deliberate conflict strategies. In 1999, the UN Peacekeeping Operation in Sierra Leone (UNAMSIL) was mandated “to afford protection to civilians under imminent threat of physical violence.” Today, the majority of the nearly 100,000 uniformed UN peacekeepers deployed worldwide operate under such a mandate.
Objetivos del Evento
The goal of the course Protection of Civilians in Peace Operations is to advance a better understanding of the conceptual framework for the protection of civilians in peace operations.
Objetivos de Aprendizaje
- Define protection of civilians in the context of UN peace operations;
- Identify the legal instruments that discipline the protection of civilians in UN peace operations;
- Illustrate UN institutional framework for protection of civilians in peace operations;
- Analyze challenges related to planning and implementation of protection activities;
- Assess specific issues linked to prevention and response to conflict-related sexual violence.
Contenido y Estructura
- Module 1: Overview of the protection of civilians
- Module 2: International legal dimension of the protection of civilians
- Module 3: Protection of civilians in the context of UN peacekeeping operations
- Module 4: Ensuring the protection of civilians
- Module 5: Prevention and response to conflict-related sexual violence
The course is designed for national and regional military and police personnel of every rank and function serving or interested in serving in peace operations.
- Have a sound understanding of the structure and functioning of a peace operation;
- Have a university degree in a relevant area with proven interest in protection of civilians (BA or equivalent) or the equivalent working experience in a relevant field (2 to 4 years);
- Have good command of English language (reading and writing);
- Be computer literate.
- Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP or superior; MacOS 9 or MacOS X; Linux
- Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space
- Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or higher (click here to download for free); it works better with Firefox 3.6 or higher (click here to download for free)
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Modelo de Aprendizaje
- Cara a cara (presencial)