Transitional justice and peacebuilding - Pilot [PTP.2012.12F]
Duración del evento:
Event focal point email:
Event focal point Contact Number:
Otros detalles del evento:
With the increasing call for and formation of truth commissions, trials, and other justice mechanisms worldwide, the concept of ‘transitional justice’ has become widespread. Peacebuilding actors face immense challenges when assisting societies devastated by conflict or emerging from repressive rule to re-establish the rule of law and confront large-scale human rights violations. The United Nations has acquired significant experience in transitional justice in these contexts and has demonstrated that reconciliation and consolidation of peace in the long-term necessitates the establishment or re-establishment of an effective administrative and justice system founded on respect for the rule of law and the protection of human rights.
Objetivos del Evento
The goal of this course is to present the concept of transitional justice in peacebuilding contexts, providing an overview of current strategies and mechanisms, their nature and practical application. The course also discusses the challenges and lessons learned that various actors may encounter when assisting societies devastated by conflict or emerging from repressive rule to re-establish an effective administrative and justice system.
Objetivos de Aprendizaje
- Define the concept of transitional justice and its role in peacebuilding contexts;
- List and discuss the different transitional justice mechanisms and strategies using practical case examples and broad theories;
- Relate transitional justice mechanisms to other peacebuilding activities;
- Identify best practices, lessons learned and likely future options in transitional justice.
Contenido y Estructura
- Module 1: Introduction to transitional justice
- Module 2: Taking a holistic approach to transitional justice
- Module 3: Transitional justice mechanisms and strategies
- Module 4: Linkages with other peacebuilding activities and way forward
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Modelo de Aprendizaje
- Cara a cara (presencial)