Milestones in UN Peacekeeping [PTP.2014.05E]
Durée de l'évènement:
Page d'accueil du programme:
Event focal point email:
Autres infos sur l'évènement:
The registration is closed
Deadline for registration: 19 Décembre 2014
UNITAR Peacekeeping Training Programme, in partnership with the Universitat Oberta de Catalunya, offers a short course on the History of UN Peacekeeping. This course can be taken in conjunction with the UNITAR Peacekeeping Training Programme course Introduction to Peace Operations for credit in the International Master Degree in Conflictology at the Universitat Oberta de Catalunya. This course offers an overview of the history of UN peacekeeping from the founding of the United Nations in 1945 up to present day and presents current trends in peacekeeping that may shape the future.
But(s) de l'évènement
The goal of the course History of UN Peacekeeping is to provide a panoramic overview of the pivotal events in the history of UN peacekeeping that have shaped its present form.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the beginnings of UN peacekeeping;
- Identify the four generations of UN peacekeeping operations and the main characteristics of each.
Contenu et structure
The course is composed of four lessons:
- Lesson 1: First Generation Peacekeeping: The Cold War (1945 – 1987)
- Lesson 2: Second Generation Peacekeeping: Following the Cold War (1988 – 1996)
- Lesson 3: Third Generation Peacekeeping: Peace Support Operations (1997 – present)
- Lesson 4: Fourth Generation Peacekeeping: The Next Twist
The course is a self-guided, self-paced, web-based course that is on-going and can be accessed at any time. The material is presented in text format with visual aids and web-based reference resources. Multiple choice quizzes at the end of each lesson serve a dual function of assessing and evaluating the students’ understanding and retention and provide a further didactic function by reviewing the content.
Primary audience: The course is designed for anyone who has an interest and curiosity in the history of peacekeeping.
- Have a university degree in a relevant area with proven interest in protection of civilians (BA or equivalent) or the equivalent working experience in a relevant field (2 to 4 years);
- Have good command of English language (reading and writing);
- Be computer literate.
UNITAR recommends the following as a minimum in hardware and software to take our e-Learning courses. Please consult your Network Administrator or Systems person to ensure that you have the following:
- Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP or superior; MacOS 9 or MacOS X; Linux
- Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space
- Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or higher (click here to download for free); it works better with Firefox 3.6 or higher (click here to download for free)
- Modem: 56 K
- Public - Sur Inscription
- Public - Candidature
- Privé - sur Invitation
- Open to register/apply
- Face à face
Toutes les langues