Introduction to peace operations [PTP.2012.02E]
Duration of event:
Event focal point email:
Other events details:
The registration is closed
Deadline for registration: 1 February 2012
•Define the framework of UN peacekeeping operations;
•Explain the procedures for the establishment of a UN peacekeeping operation;
•Analyze the key factors that enable the effective implementation of an operation’s mandate;
•Summarize the key standards of conduct and discipline for UN peacekeepers.
Content and Structure
- Module 1: Overview of a UN peacekeeping operation
- Module 2: Establishment and functioning of a UN peace operation
- Module 3: Effective mandate implementation
- Module 4: Standards and values of UN peacekeepers
The course is designed for national and regional military and police personnel of every rank and function serving or interested in serving in peace operations.
The course also addresses a broad audience of civilians, such as students, researchers, academics and individuals from governmental and non-governmental organizations with an interest in peace operations.
This is a basic course. No prior knowledge of or experience in peace operations is required.
Please note that UNITAR PTP fellowships are awarded only to a small numbers of applicants from the Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and are not differed or transferred to another course. You might wish to refer the UN-OHRLLS list by clicking here.
To receive the Certificate of Completion of the course on Introduction to Peace Operations, you need to pass the four graded modules. Participants who do not pass the four modules will be entitled to a Certificate of Participation.
Please also note that all participants would only be issued a certificate after duly filling in the evaluation form.
- Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP or superior; MacOS 9 or MacOS X; Linux
- Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (click here to download for free)
- Adobe Flash Player (click here to download for free)
- Microsoft Office (Windows or Apple version) or Open Office (click here to download for free)
- Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or higher (click here to download for free); it works better with Firefox 3.6 or higher (click here to download for free)
- Modem: 56 K
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Mode of Delivery