Negotiating for Conflict and Dispute Resolution (2014)
Duration of event:
Event focal point email:
Other events details:
The registration is closed
Deadline for registration: 29 August 2014
As it is, 'negotiation' is a complex set of interactions between parties or individuals. Add to it the dimension of 'conflict', and we find ourselves on very slippery terrain. This online course is a primer on negotiating for conflict and dispute resolution. It aims at providing participants with the fundamental understanding and tools for complex negotiations under conflict situations. This course is also the first in a series and focuses on understanding conflict, procedures for dispute resolution, tools for negotiating under conflict situations as well as effective communication and decision making. This course emphasises learning by doing.
At the end of the course, the participants should be able to:
- Recognize the incidence of a conflict;
- Appraise the degree of a conflict;
- Prescribe a resolution necessary in a given dispute; and
- Apply the proper procedure and tool for a dispute resolution
Content and Structure
This online course will cover the following modules:
- Module 1: Overview of Conflict
- Module 2: Procedures for Resolving Disputes
- Module 3: Introduction to Negotiation
- Module 4: Positional and Interest-based Bargaining
- Module 5: Communication for Decision Makers dealing with conflict
In order to ensure the best possible outreach, the course will be delivered through e-learning. Through a multiple-instructional setting, the goal is to achieve the learning objectives by means of learning technologies that match personal learning styles and by the inclusion of non-linear learning that aims at the development of just-in-time skills of adult learners. At the same time, in order to allow participants maximum flexibility of scheduling , the learning will be conducted in an asynchronous manner. Using a state-of-the-art training architecture, UNITAR will combine self-learning with assessments and online discussions. The pedagogy - adapted specifically to professionals in full-time work - will help train participants through various experiences: absorb (read); do (activity); interact (socialize); reflect (relate to one’s own reality).
This online course is designed for professionals from all sectors and professions, including: government, public finance, investment, trade, corporate finance, project management, treasury, as well as academic circles and civil society.
A certificate of completion will be issued by UNITAR to all participants who complete the course-related assignments and assessments successfully. Course schedule is subject to change. Course fee is non-refundable but transferrable to another course or participant and subject to change as per UNITAR's policy on pricing.
Recommended hardware and software requirements for taking our e-learning courses:
- Platform: Windows XP sp3, Vista sp2, Windows 7 sp1, MacOS X.
- Hardware: 2 GB of RAM and higher for Vista and Windows 7.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint and Adobe Acrobat Reader (downloadable for free at adobe.com).
- Browser: Internet Explorer 8 or higher; Mozilla Firefox 8 or higher.
- Internet connection: 128kbps and higher.
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Mode of Delivery