OHCHR/UNITAR Human Rights Orientation Programme for Diplomats (2014)
Specific Target Audience:
Duration of event:
Event focal point email:
Event focal point Contact Number:
Other events details:
Deadline for application: 19 August 2014
The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) are pleased to announce the 6th annual OHCHR/UNITAR Human Rights Orientation Programme for Diplomats in Geneva.
- Describe and distinguish the core institutions and mechanisms of the international human rights protection system;
- Actively participate in human-rights related negotiations at United Nations Headquarters.
Content and Structure
The two-day programme will cover discussion topics including:
- Historical overview of the international human rights normative framework;
- OHCHR’s mandate, working methods, thematic and country-related work;
- Human Rights Council: structure, functioning and programme of work;
- Human Rights Council mechanisms: the Universal Periodic Review and special procedures;
- Human rights treaty bodies;
- Mainstreaming human rights in development, humanitarian action and peace operations.
The orientation programme will be based on a participatory approach and will include presentations and discussions of the topics on the agenda. Time will also be allocated for participants to interact with resource persons.
The orientation programme is open exclusively to members of Permanent Missions accredited to the United Nations. Priority will be given to diplomats that are relatively new to the multilateral working environment and who are in charge of the human rights portfolio at their respective Missions or Embassies.
The orientation programme is free of charge. Registration will close once the programme is full. Applicants will be contacted when the selection process is finalized.
The programme will be conducted in English. Simultaneous interpretation into French will be provided thanks to the support of the Voluntary Technical Assistance Trust Fund to Support the Participation of Least Developed Countries and Small Island Developing States in the work of the Human Rights Council.
Applicants who meet the eligibility criteria are requested to register online and to write an email to email@example.com in order to be provided with the event application form. The form has to be returned by mail or by fax (+41 917 80 47) by Tuesday 19 August, 2014. Please ensure that the form is signed by the Head of your Mission/Embassy.
Participants who attend the two-day orientation programme will be granted a certificate.
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Mode of Delivery