Law of Treaties
Event focal point Contact Number:
The registration is closed
Дата окончания регистрации: 7 ноября 2012
The International Law of Treaties is a set of international principles and rules regulating the conclusion procedure of treaties, as well as the issues of operation, amendments and modifications, termination, suspension and invalidity of treaties. For those involved in drafting, negotiation and conclusion of international treaties, a sound knowledge of the Law of Treaties is indispensable. Moreover, efficient implementation and application of international legal norms is impossible without knowing the essentials of the International Law of Treaties.
The overall goal of this e-Course is to provide participants with the fundamental theoretical and practical knowledge of the key issues of the International Law of Treaties, as well as a comprehensive understanding of the provisions of the universal conventions as the sources of International Law of Treaties and to develop critical skills of analysis and interpretation of cases regarding contemporary practice.
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate profound understanding of the basic notions, sources, and principles of the Law of Treaties;
- Distinguish different stages of the conclusion of a treaty and differentiate between termination and suspension of treaties;
- Explain the concept of invalidity of treaties and identify its legal consequences;
- Analyze and interpret treaty provisions using international judicial decisions and opinions in the area of International Law of Treaties;
- Identify and apply the rules and procedures of International Law of Treaties to practical cases and find the relevant sources of law and build legal arguments;
- Apply theoretical knowledge and practical skills to their professional activities in fields related to the Law of Treaties for example, preparation of a draft of a treaty, or participation in negotiations and international conferences on the elaboration and adoption of an international treaty.
Содержание и структура
The Course consists of four modules:
Module 1: The basic notions, sources, and principles of the Law of Treaties
Module 2: The stages of conclusion of treaties
Module 3: The operation, modifications, termination and suspension of treaties
Module 4: The invalidity, interpretation and consequences of termination and suspension of treaties
The e-Course on the Law of Treaties will be conducted in English and delivered over 4 weeks starting on Monday, 5 November 2012. Each one of the four modules is to be completed within a week. The successful completion of the Course requires four weeks of committed study, with an average study-time of 10 hours per week.
The Course will be given through UNITAR’s virtual platform. Thus, participants need a minimum hardware and software equipment (nearly all computers fit this) and basic computer skills such as logging into websites, navigating the Internet, using Microsoft Word, uploading/downloading documents, and of course a reliable Internet connection.
Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, 2003, 2007, NT, ME or XP; MacOS 9 or MacOS X.
Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space.
Software: Adobe Acrobat Reader (download for free at http://get.adobe.com/fr/reader/
Modem: 56 K.
The learning activities are based on sound adult learning pedagogical principles and designed specifically for professionals working full-time. These activities include self-assessment activities, case studies, discussion forums, practical assignments, quizzes, etc.
The course moderators selected by UNITAR are experts in international law from academic and international circles, including practitioners from both within and outside the United Nations system. They will guide participants in their learning process and answer their questions. In addition, UNITAR’s staff will provide them with technical support on how to use the learning tools available on UNITAR’s platform.
In order to assure interactive exchange as well as provide participants with personalized learning assistance, the number of participants will not exceed 30.
Participants who successfully complete the four modules of the e-Course on the Law of Treaties will receive a Certificate of Completion issued by UNITAR.
The course aims to respond to the needs of a variety of legal practitioners: government officers dealing with issues of treaty-making, diplomats, judges/magistrates, law professors and researchers, members of bar associations, NGO representatives, lawyers in private practice and advanced students in the fields of law, international relations or other associated fields.
- Открытое мероприятие - по регистрации
- Открытое мероприятие - по заявке
- Закрытое мероприятие - по приглашению
- Можно зарегистрироваться/подать заявку
- На месте