Migration and Development Series: Course on International Migration Law
Specific Target Audience:
Deadline for application: 11 июня 2012
Efforts to ensure that migration across international borders takes place in a humane and orderly manner can draw on many conventions at the international and regional levels that apply to those involved in the migration process. However, these instruments are spread across various branches of law (human rights, humanitarian law, migrant workers law, refugee law, law of the sea), and there is no central source where overall information is easily accessible. Also, little attempt is made to understand the interlinkages between these instruments. This dispersion of norms and principles contributes to the widespread belief that there are gaps in the protection of migrants and/or regulation of migration at the international level.
Содержание и структура
The course spans two and a half days and covers the following topics:
- International migration- terminology, actors and issues;
- International migration law, including the authority and responsibility of States and international conventions on the human rights of migrants, migrant workers and their families;
- Rights and obligations of migrants;
- Irregular migration, smuggling and trafficking;
- Law of the sea;
- Forced migration;
- Developments in international and regional migration cooperation.
As an interactive face-to-face event facilitated jointly by UNITAR and the International Organization for Migration (IOM), this course features experts from IOM, the United Nations system and other international organizations. Participants engage in case studies and group projects and receive reading materials to enhance their holistic understanding of the subject. Following speaker presentations, participants also have an opportunity to share their views and discuss matters of interest to them.
The course is open to members of permanent missions to the United Nations in New York who work on issues related to migration and international law. Representatives of governments, international organizations, the United Nations system, civil society and private sector with academic or professional interest on the topic are also encouraged to participate.
All participants who successfully complete the workshop will receive a UNITAR Certificate of Completion.
- Открытое мероприятие - по регистрации
- Открытое мероприятие - по заявке
- Закрытое мероприятие - по приглашению
- Можно зарегистрироваться/подать заявку
- На месте