Workshop on Elections to United Nations Organs
Specific Target Audience:
The registration is closed
Дата окончания регистрации: 5 марта 2011
Elections to the different organs of the United Nations play a pivotal role in the Organization’s leadership configuration. Especially given the highly complex and decentralized nature of the United Nations, being elected to certain posts has important implications on subsequent agenda-setting and decision-making processes. In view of such significance, Member States have been deeply invested in the election processes at the United Nations, which have evolved into a complicated and time-consuming diplomatic affair. In response to popular demand, UNITAR offers an annual workshop on elections to the United Nations organs since 2007 to facilitate the work of election officers in permanent missions to the United Nations in
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe the composition of the principal United Nations organs;
- Compare the different electoral principles that apply in the United Nations organs;
- Describe the key elements of the rules and procedures for elections and voting;
- Contrast the processes of the regional groups for endorsing candidates;
- Identify opportunities for campaigning for vacant seats at upcoming elections.
Содержание и структура
The workshop takes place over one and half day and covers five modules:
- Overview of the United Nations organs and their composition;
- Electoral procedures of different organs and subsidiary bodies;
- Role of the regional groups in candidate endorsement;
- Methods and techniques of effective campaigning;
- Introduction to CandiWeb, the United Nations website for election officers.
Facilitated by UNITAR, the workshop is based on a participatory approach that allows ample time for discussion. Different topics are presented by experienced officers from the Secretariat and permanent missions and participants have opportunities to interact with speakers and network with other election officers, who may offer helpful tips and support in real life situations. Participants also receive study materials to enhance their holistic understanding about elections in the United Nations.
The workshop is open to election officers and other members of permanent missions to the United Nations in
Members of the Permanent Missions accredited to the United Nations in New York who wish to participate in this workshop are requested to register online at http://www.unitar.org/event/new-york.
The course participation fee is 375 USD. Diplomats from least developed countries (LDCs) and developing countries are eligible to apply for a fellowship. If you wish to apply for a fellowship (fee-waiver), please contact the UNITAR New York Office (email@example.com) upon completion of online registration.
Participants may pay individually per course attended, or, for diplomats / officials, their government may wish to cover the costs of an annual subscription. More information about UNITAR’s core diplomacy training (CDT) pricing policy is available at http://www.unitar.org/mdp/cdt.
Important: Upon completion of online registration, applicants will receive an automated invoice, which will allow them to make full payment for their UNITAR course(s), unless a fellowship application is pending. Participation will be confirmed once payment is received. Participants are required to make payment by wire transfer or check. UNITAR reserves the right to rescind an applicant's enrolment at any time in case of non-receipt of payment.
All participants who successfully complete the workshop will receive a UNITAR Certificate of Completion.
- Открытое мероприятие - по регистрации
- Открытое мероприятие - по заявке
- Закрытое мероприятие - по приглашению
- Можно зарегистрироваться/подать заявку
- На месте