Techniques and Procedures in International Environmental Law
Event focal point Contact Number:
The registration is closed
Дата окончания регистрации: 14 ноября 2012
Multilateral environmental agreements (MEAs) are the predominant legal method for addressing transboundary environmental problems. Nowadays States, particularly least developed countries and developing countries, face the challenge of implementing over 300 MEAs with limited technical, financial and human resource capabilities. Several countries need to develop their capacities for the better implementation of environmental obligations at the national level in order to ensure adequate application and compliance of MEAs. Thus, training and capacity development are key resources for effective global environmental protection.
UNITAR is aware of the fact that States need to enhance their national capacities in order to meet their environmental obligations. For this reason UNITAR offers the Series of e-Learning Courses on International Environmental Law that is composed of 4 courses.
The overall goal of this course is to provide participants with a comprehensive knowledge of the techniques and procedures to further improve compliance and enforcement of international environmental obligations at the national level. These obligations are acquired by States through the signature of Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) which are necessary for effective global environmental protection.
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Identify the environmental regulatory measures that are necessary to avoid environmental harm and reduce or eliminate environmental risk.
- Identify the objectives, requirements, scope and content of environmental impact assessment procedures.
- Identify the purposes and utility of licensing and permit systems.
- Differentiate between different kinds of economic measures aimed at protecting the environment.
- Identify the public’s procedural right in environmental decision-making.
- Identify the main techniques available to ensure the implementation and formulation of environmental law.
- Develop an understanding of the non-compliance and enforcement procedures of MEAs.
- Identify the techniques or/and procedures in IEL that can be applied to a given case study.
Содержание и структура
The e-Course on Techniques and Procedures in IEL is the third course of the UNITAR Series of e-Learning Courses on IEL and it can be taken separately from the other courses of the Series. However, participants are advised to follow course 1 in order to make the most of course 3 content.
This e-Course is composed of following 7 interactive lessons:
Lesson 1: Regulatory Measures
Lesson 2: Environmental Impact Assessment
Lesson 3: Licensing and Permitting
Lesson 4: Economic Measures
Lesson 5: Public Participation
Lesson 6: Implementation and Compliance and
Lesson 7: Enforcement and Remedies.
The e-Course will be conducted in English and be delivered over two weeks starting on Monday, 12 November 2012. The successful completion of the course requires an average study-time of 10 hours per week.
The e-courses will be given through UNITAR’s virtual platform. Thus, participants need a minimum hardware and software equipment (nearly all computers fit this) and basic computer skills such as logging into websites, navigating the Internet, using Microsoft Word, uploading/downloading documents, and of course a reliable Internet connection.
Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, 2003, 2007, NT, ME or XP; MacOS 9 or MacOS X.
Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space.
Software: Adobe Acrobat Reader (download for free at http://get.adobe.com/fr/reader/
Modem: 56 K.
The assessment activities prepared to evaluate the extent to which participants meet the Learning Objectives are based on sound adult learning pedagogical principles. They include:
- Taking online self-assessments in the form of quizzes.
- Analyzing case studies which allow participants to apply the knowledge freshly acquired to a practical exercise.
- Drafting short written essays related to the course content which are evaluated by the course moderators.
- Participating in discussion forums which are lead by course moderators who reply to participants’ contributions and summarize the issues discussed.
In order to assure interactive exchange as well as provide participants with personalized learning assistance the number of participants will not exceed 30.
The course will be moderated by Prof. Donald Anton.
Participants who successfully complete the course will receive a Certificate of Participation issued by UNITAR. Participants who successfully complete all four e-courses of the Series will receive a Certificate of Completion (even if the e-courses were taken in different sessions).
- Government officials from ministries of environment and related ministries such as agriculture, forest, water, tourism, foreign affairs;
- International civil servants and NGO representatives working in the field of environmental law, environmental management, international relations, international politics and other areas relating to sustainable development;
- Judges, prosecutors and lawyers dealing with environmental issues;
- Academics, private sector professionals and graduate students who would like to specialize in international environmental law.
- Открытое мероприятие - по регистрации
- Открытое мероприятие - по заявке
- Закрытое мероприятие - по приглашению
- Можно зарегистрироваться/подать заявку
- На месте