Transitional Justice and Peacebuilding [PTP.2014.11E]
The registration is closed
Дата окончания регистрации: 26 февраля 2014
With the increasing call for and formation of truth commissions, trials, and other justice mechanisms worldwide, the concept of ‘transitional justice’ has become widespread. Peacebuilding actors face immense challenges when assisting societies devastated by conflict or emerging from repressive rule to re-establish the rule of law and confront large-scale human rights violations. The United Nations has acquired significant experience in transitional justice in these contexts and has demonstrated that reconciliation and consolidation of peace in the long-term necessitates the establishment or re-establishment of an effective administrative and justice system founded on respect for the rule of law and the protection of human rights.
The goal of the course Transitional Justice and Peacebuilding is to present the concept of transitional justice in peacebuilding contexts, providing a holistic overview of current strategies and mechanisms, their nature and practical application, and the challenges and lessons learned associated to their implementation in post-conflict settings.
- Illustrate the broad concept of transitional justice, its key elements and mechanisms, and its role in post-conflict peacebuilding contexts;
- Present the reasons for taking a holistic approach to transitional justice;
- Develop a transitional justice strategy selecting the most appropriate among the different mechanisms, according to broad theories and case examples;
- Relate transitional justice mechanisms to other peacebuilding activities; and
- Summarize best practices, lessons learned and the way forward in transitional justice.
Содержание и структура
- Module 1: Introduction to Transitional Justice
- Module 2: Taking a Holistic Approach
- Module 3: Transitional Justice Mechanisms and Strategies
- Module 4: Linkages with other Peacebuilding Activities
- Module 5: Transitional Justice and the Way Forward
The PTP staff developed for this course a methodology that, in addition to Scenario-based Activities, Lessons, Readings and Discussion Forums, will employ diverse interactive methodologies aimed at enhancing participants’ learning through interesting, interactive and experiential ways, stimulating participants’ contributions and drawing upon their own experiences.
Each module also includes self-assessment activities and exercises aimed at assessing the progressive results and improvements of the learning process of the participants. These are individual activities that draw upon purpose-created scenarios, case studies and forum debates that will assist and help the learners to retain the contents of the course and concretely apply the knowledge acquired during the lessons.
The primary audience of the course includes civilians and civil servants from international, regional or local governmental and non-governmental organizations, working on matters involving transitional justice and peacebuilding.
- Be familiar with the concept of peacebuilding as well as with the structure and functioning of a peace operation;
- Have a university degree in a relevant area with proven interest in the specific topic covered by the course (BA or equivalent) or the equivalent working experience in a relevant field (2 to 4 years);
- Have good command of English language (reading and writing);
- Be computer literate.
Please note that UNITAR PTP fellowships are awarded only to a small numbers of applicants from the Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and are not differed or transferred to another course. You might wish to refer the UN-OHRLLS list by clicking here.
- Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP or superior; MacOS 9 or MacOS X; Linux
- Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space
- Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or higher (click here to download for free); it works better with Firefox 3.6 or higher (click here to download for free)
- Открытое мероприятие - по регистрации
- Открытое мероприятие - по заявке
- Закрытое мероприятие - по приглашению
- Можно зарегистрироваться/подать заявку
- На месте