Understanding conflict and conflict analysis [PTP.2012.15E]
The registration is closed
Дата окончания регистрации: 7 июня 2012
Conflicts and wars have been recurrent throughout history. In 2010, over 300 conflicts have affected the lives of millions of individuals around the world. Despite their different occurrences, conflicts have common characteristics and working mechanisms. Only by analyzing the causes, actors and specific dynamics, conflicts can be efficiently mediated. To this end, conflict analysis is a vital source of information as it helps actors on the ground to gain a better comprehension of the environment in which they work and of their role in preventing the escalation of tensions.
The goal of the course is to provide participants with an overview of the key elements of conflict analysis and how these can be integrated into the context of pre-intervention assessment and planning of a peace operation.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify potential and existing conflict causes as well as possible factors contributing to peace;
- Map out the actors that are engaged in or affected by conflict;
- Trace conflict dynamics;
- Analyze the interaction between the specific context and current/future interventions.
Содержание и структура
The course is composed of five modules that will be covered over five weeks:
- Module 1: Causes of conflict
- Module 2: Actors in conflict
- Module 3: Dynamics of conflict
- Module 4: Integrating conflict analysis in the planning of a peace operation
- Module 5: Good practices and evaluation in conflict analysis
The number of estimated hours required to complete the course is 45, which means a workload of 9 hours on average per week.
The course is based on the synergy of theory and practice. The conceptual foundations of confict analysis are explained through illustrated narratives and interactive lessons. These concepts will be applied in scenario-based activities. During these scenarios students will apply various conflict analysis tools and evaluate their strenghts and weaknesses. Students can also continuously check their progress through self-assessment activities. In order to create collective knowledge and to facilitate interaction and experience sharing among participants, discussion forums are organized.
Facilitators guide participants through this process, delivering and conveying information, clarifying doubts and supporting participants through different activities.
The course is designed for national and regional military and police personnel of every rank and function serving or interested in serving in peace operations.
The course also addresses a broad audience of civilians, such as students, researchers, academics and individuals from governmental and non-governmental organizations with an interest in peace operations.
This is a basic course. No prior knowledge of or experience in peace operations is required.
Please note that UNITAR PTP fellowships are awarded only to a small numbers of applicants from the Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and are not differed or transferred to another course. You might wish to refer the UN-OHRLLS list by clicking here.
To receive the Certificate of Completion of the course on Understanding Conflict and Conflict Analysis you need to submit an activity and a post for each module and pass each graded modules with a mark of at least 12/20.
Participants who submit an activity and a post for each module but who do not pass all of them may be entitled to a Certificate of Participation if they have received a minimum of 8/20 for each module.
UNITAR recommends the following as a minimum in hardware and software to take our e-Learning courses. Please consult your Network Administrator or Systems person to ensure that you have the following:
- Platform: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP or superior; MacOS 9 or MacOS X; Linux
- Hardware: 64 MB of RAM, 1 GB of free disk space
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (click here to download for free)
- Adobe Flash Player (click here to download for free)
- Microsoft Office (Windows or Mac) or Open Office (click here to download for free)
- Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or higher (click here to download for free); it works better with Firefox 3.6 or higher (click here to download for free)
- Modem: 56 K
- Открытое мероприятие - по регистрации
- Открытое мероприятие - по заявке
- Закрытое мероприятие - по приглашению
- Можно зарегистрироваться/подать заявку
- На месте