UNITAR / OHCHR Human Rights Orientation Programme for Diplomats
Event focal point Contact Number:
The registration is closed
Дата окончания регистрации: 31 мая 2012
The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) are pleased to announce the 4th annual Orientation Programme for Diplomats on Human Rights. The programme will be held in New York on 5 and 6 June 2012 and will involve presentations by human rights experts on key human rights issues.
The programme aims at enhancing governmental officials’ understanding of OHCHR and the United Nations human rights protection system. As a result, diplomats will be able to more comprehensively and effectively integrate human rights into their work and/or perform their human rights-related functions.
The programme will cover a historical overview and the international human rights framework; OHCHR’s mandate, working methods, thematic and country-related work; the structure and functioning of the Human Rights Council and its mechanisms (incl. the Universal Periodic Review and special procedures), the human rights treaty bodies, the work of the General Assembly ,the Security Council and activities of other United Nations organs in relation to human rights, and the mainstreaming of human rights in development, humanitarian action and peace operations.
More specifically, at the end of this orientation programme, participants will be able to
- Explain the historical evolution of the international human rights normative framework;
- Enumerate the roles and functions of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights;
- Discuss the ways in which human rights are mainstreamed in different United Nations policies and debated in the UN bodies such as the General Assembly and the Security Council;
- Discuss the ways in which human rights are mainstreamed in different United Nations policies and debated in the UN bodies such as the General Assembly and the Security Council.
The programme will be based on a participatory approach and include presentations and discussions on the various topics on the agenda. Adequate time will be allocated for participants to interact with resource persons. Participants will receive a comprehensive set of reference and background material, including selected articles and other reference documents, copies of PowerPoint presentations, and other relevant materials. Resource persons will comprise human rights experts, primarily drawn from OHCHR staff.
The programme is open to members of permanent missions accredited to the United Nations. Priority will be given to diplomats who are in charge of the human rights file at their respective missions or embassies, and who are relatively new to the multilateral working environment.
Participants who successfully complete the orientation programme by attending all sessions will receive an OHCHR/UNITAR Certificate of Participation.
- Открытое мероприятие - по регистрации
- Открытое мероприятие - по заявке
- Закрытое мероприятие - по приглашению
- Можно зарегистрироваться/подать заявку
- На месте