UNITAR /OLA Seminar on International Treaty Law and Practice
Specific Target Audience:
Event focal point Contact Number:
Срок подачи заявки: 14 апреля 2013
Proper understanding and appreciation of international law and the multilateral treaty framework is integral to an effective management of international relations today. The continuous growth of global challenges and concomitant expansion of collective responses have resulted in many developments in the practice of the Secretary-General (as the depositary of multilateral treaties) and in the registration function of the Secretariat under Article 102 of the Charter of the United Nations. Particularly at the 2005 World Summit, Member States recognized the “need for universal adherence to and implementation of the rule of law at both the national and international levels”. The Summit outcome document also drew attention to the importance of States becoming parties to and implementing conventions deposited with the Secretary-General in areas such as terrorism, organized crime and corruption, protection of the environment and human rights.
Against this backdrop, countries face new challenges in participating in multilateral treaties, particularly in the area of signature, ratification, accession and domestic implementation of treaty rights and obligations. However, as former Secretary-General noted in his Millennium Report (A/54/2000), many countries “lack the necessary expertise and resources, especially when national legislation is needed to give force to international instruments”. This seminar is intended to bridge the gap between the growing need for global cooperation and the lack of expertise in providing legal effect to such cooperation.
To enable participants to
- Understand the basic concepts in treaty law and the evolution of the treaty law system;
- Distinguish between reservations and declarations and articulate the functions and limits of reservations;
- Explain the concept of “final causes” and their legal effects;
- Explain the mandate of Article 102 of the UN Charter and enumerate the registration procedures for Member States;
- Be able to locate and navigate treaty-related information online
Содержание и структура
- Introduction to the International Treaty Law System;
- Participation in Multilateral Treaties Deposited with the UN Secretary-General;
- Reservations and Declarations;
- Final Clauses of Multilateral Treaties;
- Registration of Treaties under Article 102 of the UN Charter and Practice Exercise on Registration;
- Overview of online resources – UN Treaty Collection website.
The seminar is facilitated by UNITAR with a team of experts and lawyers from the Treaty Section of the United Nations Office of Legal Affairs. The seminar consists of core lectures, case studies and practical exercises to assist countries in undertaking multilateral treaty actions more effectively and registering treaties with the Secretariat.
This course is open exclusively to members of the Permanent Missions accredited at UN Headquarters and other government officials. If necessary, UNITAR reserves the right to make a selection among candidates. Pending availability of places, other interested individuals may participate on a fee-paying basis.
The course participation fee is 550 USD. Diplomats assigned to a Permanent Mission from a low- or middle-income country according to the World Bank classification are eligible to apply for a fellowship. If you wish to apply for a fellowship (fee-waiver), please contact the UNITAR New York Office (email@example.com) upon completion of online registration.
All participants who successfully complete the workshop will receive a UNITAR Certificate of Completion.
- Открытое мероприятие - по регистрации
- Открытое мероприятие - по заявке
- Закрытое мероприятие - по приглашению
- Можно зарегистрироваться/подать заявку
- На месте