UNITAR/Office of the Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide Workshop on Genocide Prevention
Event focal point Contact Number:
The registration is closed
Дата окончания регистрации: 17 января 2014
This two-day, intensive workshop on the prevention of genocide intends to provide delegates, particularly those delegates engaged in Human Rights and Humanitarian issues, with a comprehensive and impartial knowledge base on the definitions of genocide and related war crimes. It will also critically examine the international legal framework and strategies for the prevention of genocide, including Responsibility to Protect.
At the end of the workshop participants should be able to:
- define and recognize what actions are considered; genocide, crimes against humanity, atrocity crimes and ethnic cleansing,
- describe the work of the United Nations in the field of genocide prevention,
- critically assess the concept of the Responsibility to Protect,
- identify early warning strategies for the prevention of genocide and other mass atrocities,
- identify the role of national and regional actors in the prevention of ethnic violence and cleansing and implementing the Responsibility to Protect.
Содержание и структура
Conducted in English, this workshop takes place over two days and discusses the following topics: legal framework for the prevention and punishment of atrocity crimes; a socio-historical perspective of genocide; the Responsibility to Protect; global challenges for prevention with the use of case studies; the role of the UN in preventing atrocity crimes and the role of national and regional actors in implementing the Responsibility to Protect. It will also feature a simulation exercise demonstrating how to identify risk factors for genocide and make recommendations for response.
The workshop will be based on a participatory approach with expert presentations and seminar style discussions, as well as a case study exercise. Adequate time will be allocated for participants to interact with resource persons. Participants will receive a comprehensive set of reference and background material, including selected articles and other reference documents, copies of PowerPoint presentations, and other relevant materials. Resource persons will comprise experts on genocide prevention from the UN as well as from the NGO and academic sector.
The workshop is open to members of permanent missions to the United Nations, especially those delegates participating in third and fourth comittees, as well as to interested persons from NGOs and the academic sector.
Participants who successfully complete the workshop by attending all sessions will receive a Certificate of Participation.
The workshop will take place in Conference Room B (CB) at the United Nations Headquarters on Monday, 20 January 2014 from 10.00 a.m. until 6.00 p.m. and on Tuesday, 21 January 2014 from 10.00 a.m. until 5.30 p.m. Registration will take place on Monday from 9.30 a.m. in Conference Room B (CB).
Please register online at www.unitar.org/event/new-york
- Открытое мероприятие - по регистрации
- Открытое мероприятие - по заявке
- Закрытое мероприятие - по приглашению
- Можно зарегистрироваться/подать заявку
- На месте