Second All- Africa Carbon Forum
Duration of event:
Event focal point email:
Other events details:
The registration is closed
In November 2006, Secretary-General Kofi Annan launched the Nairobi Framework to support the application of the Kyoto Protocol’s Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) in under represented regions. Since then, interest in the mechanism has grown, and with it, the number of projects and hosting countries. However, Africa accounts for less than 2 per cent of the more than 2,040 plus CDM projects registered to date in 62 countries.
Therefore in an effort to build interest about the CDM in Africa, the Nairobi Framework Partners: the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the UNFCCC secretariat, the International Emissions Trading Association (IETA), United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) and United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) are organizing the second all-Africa Carbon Forum, at the United Nations Gigiri complex.
The Forum aims to:
- Update on the different views and the challenges associated with global climate change, and recent developments in the international carbon market;
- Discuss with project developers and technical specialists of a wide range of sectors and technologies the best practices and lessons learned for the implementation of CDM projects in Africa;
- Learn from the most respected experts from the public and private sector on strategies and measures aimed at promoting the benefits of the CDM in the region,
- Enable CDM project participants and developers to showcase their projects to interested parties by holding matchmaking and deal facilitation sessions;and
- Seize opportunities to establish contacts throughout the Forum.
The Forum targets designated national authorities (DNAs); national focal points; representatives from UN agencies; and CDM project developers, including buyers and sellers.
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Mode of Delivery