Tools to support adaptation programmes
Duration of event:
Event focal point email:
Other events details:
The Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP), based in Apia, Samoa over the years called for the Pacific to be part of this capacity building initiative .
The need to build the capacity of people in the Pacific Islands on climate change in an integrated approach has formed the basis of a programme between the UNITAR C3D Partners and SPREP. This programme concerns the implementation of a long‐term capacity building programme to strengthen the human resource and institutional capacity of developing countries particularly the Non‐Annex I Parties to the UNFCCC.
• brief the participants on the basics and progress to date of climate change science, vulnerability and adaptation
• provide a forum for participants to share knowledge, experiences, and difficulties or constraints in working on climate change adaptation under the PAC programme
• provide on‐site hands‐on training and technical advice on a range of issues (tools, methods, guidelines, sectors, and projects) for integrate relevant information and datato improve adaptation programmes
At the end of the training participants will be expected to know;
- Identification of and familiarity with climate data sources, climate‐related information, and web‐based tools that provide rapid access to these.
- Enhanced understanding related to key climate variables, current climate variability and future climate projections.
- Identification of vulnerable geographic areas where climate change is having and/or will likely have a substantial impact at the regional/country level.
- An improved understanding of climate change impacts and risks as well as sectorspecific major vulnerabilities.
The training will be delivered over two days and the main mode of delivery is by power point presentation to introduce participants to the theory on how to Identifiy of and familiar with climate data sources, climate‐related information,and web‐based tools that provide rapid access to these
Hands on exercises and practical exercises will also be an important part of the training to involve participants and allow participants put into practice the theory.
Finally a resource book to serve as a guide and useful resource will be distributed to all participants.
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Mode of Delivery