Understanding Conflict and Conflict Analysis [PTP.2014.18E]
Duration of event:
Event focal point email:
Other events details:
Conflicts and wars have been recurrent throughout history. In 2010, over 300 conflicts have affected the lives of millions of individuals around the world. Despite their different occurrences, conflicts have common characteristics and working mechanisms. Only by analyzing the causes, actors and specific dynamics, conflicts can be efficiently mediated. To this end, conflict analysis is a vital source of information as it helps actors on the ground to gain a better comprehension of the environment in which they work and of their role in preventing the escalation of tensions.
The goal of the course is to provide participants with an overview of the key elements of conflict analysis and how these can be integrated into the context of pre-intervention assessment and planning of a peace operation.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify potential and existing conflict causes as well as possible factors contributing to peace;
- Map out the actors that are engaged in or affected by conflict;
- Trace conflict dynamics;
- Analyze the interaction between the specific context and current/future interventions.
Content and Structure
- Module 1: Causes of conflict
- Module 2: Actors in conflict
- Module 3: Dynamics of conflict
- Module 4: Integrating conflict analysis in the planning of a peace operation
- Module 5: Good practices and evaluation in conflict analysis
The course is designed for national and regional military and police personnel of every rank and function serving or interested in serving in peace operations.
Please note that UNITAR PTP fellowships are awarded only to a small numbers of applicants from the Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and are not differed or transferred to another course. You might wish to refer the UN-OHRLLS list by clicking here.
- Public - by registration
- Public - by application
- Private - by invitation
- Open to register/apply
Mode of Delivery