Beneficiaries again top 50,000
For the second consecutive biennium, the Institute’s total number of beneficiaries has topped the 50,000 benchmark. The 847 events delivered by UNITAR over the 2012-2013 budget cycle (ranging from training and related briefings, courses, seminars and workshops to events reaching out to the public at large, such as conferences, public lectures and side events) produced nearly 44,000 of these beneficiaries, or some 86 per cent. The remaining 14 per cent represented indirect beneficiaries and were produced by events organized by other entities in which UNITAR provided inputs.
While the total number of beneficiaries remains relatively stable when compared to the 2010-2011 biennium, the number of beneficiaries from training and conference outreach-related events increased over the course of the 2012-2013 biennium, from 10,526 to 10,964 (4 per cent) and from 10,054 to 12,146 (21 per cent) respectively. Likewise, the number of events organized by UNITAR or in partnership with other organizations increased over the biennium, from 388 in 2012 to 459 in 2013.
Over three-quarters of UNITAR events are training-related, and some 65 per cent of the total number of events organized during the 2012-2013 biennium developed around specific learning outcomes. Over 9,000 beneficiaries, or some 43 per cent, are learning online. UNITAR enjoys high learning event completion and certification rates, standing at 90 per cent and 85 per cent respectively.
Three-quarters from Africa, Asia, and Latin America and the Caribbean
The regional breakdown of beneficiaries from training-related events continues to reflect the general distribution from the 2010-2011 biennium, with participants from Africa representing the largest proportion (at 36 per cent), followed by Asia and the Pacific (27 per cent), Latin American and the Caribbean (11 per cent), and Europe, North America and the Middle East at 19, 7 and 3 per cent, respectively. In terms of nationality, seven of the top ten countries benefitting from UNITAR training-related services are developing (Afghanistan, Cameroun, India, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa,and Uganda).
UNITAR continues to service a broad-based group of beneficiaries, with more than 50 percent of its training-related beneficiaries coming from national, state and local governments; 21 per cent from non state sectors, including NGOs, academia and businesses; and 7 per cent from other sectors. Fifteen per cent of UNITAR training related beneficiaries from the United Nations and other regional and international organizations.
94 per cent overall usefulness rating
The Institute continues to receive very positive reaction from its beneficiaries. Of 548 learning events delivered to 16,485 participants, feedback from respondents continued to reflect much value in UNITAR services. Based on data collected, respondents agreed or strongly agreed that training was considered to be overall useful (94 per cent), that the training was job relevant (88 per cent), that information was new to them (70 per cent) and that it was likely that they would use the information (92 per cent).
Download 2012-13 beneficiary and events information (PDF, 398 KB)
16 Sep 2014
05 Sep 2014
02 Sep 2014
- 1 of 195