Agreement signed for the promotion of climate change education in the Dominican Republic
11 March 2013, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic - The National Council for Climate Change and Clean Development Mechanism (CNCCMDL) of the Government of the Dominican Republic has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the National Teacher Training Institute (INAFOCAM) to develop a training programme on climate change for teachers. This initiative is part of the UN CC:Learn Partnership. UN CC:Learn is a One UN initiative on climate change learning for which UNITAR is providing the Secretariat. The high-level event was also attended by teachers and a UNITAR representative.
- Adapt an existing UNESCO course on CCESD to the Dominican context;
- Organize a national pilot workshop to train trainers;
- Organize 10 regional workshops to train 400 teachers in 18 regions of the Dominican Republic;
- Follow-up on the implementation of CCESD in selected teacher training institutions;
- Implement an international exchange programme for teachers in collaboration with other Latin American countries.
An important aspect of UN CC:Learn is to support countries in developing a National Strategy to Strengthen Human Resources and Skills to Advance Green, Low Emission and Climate Resilient Development, through a multi-sectoral and multi-stakeholder process. During the course of 2012-2013, Benin, the Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Malawi, and Uganda are participating as UN CC:Learn pilot countries. Core funding for the 2011-2013 implementation phase of UN CC:Learn is provided by the Swiss Government.
20 jan 2014
14 nov 2013
12 aoû 2013