Green Legacy Hiroshima: Archived News
September 19: First in the 2013-2014 seed-picking season – the Jujube!
The Jujube tree (Ziziphus jujuba) on Peace Boulevard offered the first bounty of the GLH seed-picking season this year. Thanks to botanical advisors Horiguchi san and Sera san, new efforts to have seeds germinate have started (last year we were not successful!).
In July 2013 GLH started its third year, now accompanied by partners in some 20 countries.
- On Saturday 27 April, 2013 Sally Fegan-Wyles, Executive Director of UNITAR, accompanied by the Green Legacy Hiroshima team, visited some of the survivor trees. Mr. Yasuyoshi Komizo, Chairperson of the Hiroshima Peace Culture Foundation and Mr. Akio Nishikiori, President of the Hiroshima Architects Association - both members of the Green Legacy Hiroshima Working Group -- joined the tour on a beautiful sunny day. The visit took the group to the memorial of Dr. Marcel Junod, head of the ICRC delegation at the time of the atomic bombing, and a well-loved, renowned figure in Hiroshima. For this occasion, a second-generation Gingko biloba sapling, destined to be planted on the ICRC grounds at its headquarters in Geneva, was handed over to the UNITAR delegation. Thanks to Sally and Alex Mejia, the sapling has now arrived safely in the hands of the gardeners at ICRC headquarters, and will be planted this year in a special ceremony marking 6 August.
- IPPNW World Congress: Lecture "Investing in Peace or Investing in Violence?" by Nassrine Azimi, 25 August 2012
- Visit to Hiroshima by Deputy Director of Irkutsk Botanical Gardens, Dr. Svetlana Sizykh, and Agricultural Counselor of Embassy of Chile, Tokyo, Mr. Vicente Pinto, August 2012(photos below)
- On 6 August 2012, the day of the 67th anniversary of the world's first atomic bomb attack in Hiroshima in 1945, UNITAR and the new entity representing Green Legacy Hiroshima Initiative finalized a Memorandum of Understanding that will build upon the work undertaken over the past year during the pilot phase for three additional years. - Click for More
- Green Legacy Hiroshima Plants a Second Generation A-Bombed Persimmon Tree on Hiroshima`s Peace Boulevard
To mark the visit of the UNITAR Executive Director Dr. Carlos Lopes, H.E. Mayor Matsui and the Green Legacy Working Group gathered for a tree-planting ceremony on 30 March 2012. On the occassion, a stone memorial was also dedicated by Dr. Lopes. Children from the chorus "I Pray" offered a musical performance in honour of the event.
- Hiroshima Mayor H.E. Kazumi Matsui meets with Green Legacy Hiroshima team at City Hall, 9 February 2012 (.pdf)
(広島市広報課提供/photo courtesy of Hiroshima City)