28 February 2013: UNITAR is honoured to have recently joined the Hiroshima Research and Educational Institutes Network for Peace. The Network's objective is to share information and expertise with regard to Hiroshima and its role in peace building efforts. Member Institutes include:
- Hiroshima University
- Prefectural University of Hiroshima
- Hiroshima City University
- Hiroshima International University
- Hiroshima Bunkyo Women’s University
- Japanese Red Cross Hiroshima College of Nursing
- Hiroshima Jogakuin University (2013.06.20~)
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Chugoku International Center
- Hiroshima International Center (HIC)
- Hiroshima Municipal Government
- Hiroshima Prefectural Government
- UNITAR Hiroshima Office
On the occasion of the establishment of the Network, 15 representatives from 10 Member Institutes gathered at the inaugural meeting. The representatives discussed the Network’s statute, membership, and upcoming events in the next fiscal year.
UNITAR affirmed its commitment to working closely with the Network, utilising its experience in bringing delegations to Hiroshima for capacity building, as well as building upon the Hiroshima for Global Peace Plan, developed by the Hiroshima Prefectural Government.