About the International Law Programme
The International Law Programme (ILP) strives to promote better awareness, knowledge and understanding of international law with a view to enhance the global respect for international legal principles.
UNITAR’s International Law Programme has over 40 years of experience in designing and implementing training courses that respond to the need ant to the priorities of professionals in UN Members States, International governmental or non-governmental organizations, academia and/or other entities in the public or private sector.
ILP offers exceptional training opportunities comprised of introductory courses and more specialized advanced courses delivered in a variety of formats:
Tailor-made Training– customized training activities on international law topics, tailored to the specific needs of Member States or other partners in the form of national, regional or sub-regional capacity building activities, study visits, e-learning courses, blended training.
- E-learning courses– computer-based training courses providing personalized support to participants through interactive learning tools. The courses are delivered through UNITAR’s virtual platform.
The main goals of the Programme can be summarized as follows:
- Strengthen and support the bodies and institutions overseeing the application, implementation, respect for and effectiveness of the international obligations
- Provide participants with an opportunity to update and deepen their knowledge of recent developments in international law with particular focus on enhancing awareness of Multilateral Environmental Agreements
- Enable participants to acquire additional knowledge on the legal work of the United Nations and its associated bodies
- Provide a platform for intensive exchange and sharing of information among practitioners of international law with respect to legal problems of common interest
The training activities conducted by ILP address various practice areas within international law: Law of Treaties, Law of the Sea, International Protection of Human Rights, Refugee Law, International Criminal Law, International Humanitarian Law, International Investment Law, International Trade Law etc. Within this range of international law topics, ILP has also developed special expertise in providing training in international environmental law.
All ILP’s training activities favour an interactive, practice-oriented, participatory and experiential approach (simulation exercises, case studies, interactive lectures, discussion fora, etc.).
Our beneficiaries include diplomats and government officials from various ministries (Foreign Affairs, Justice, Environment, etc.); judges, magistrates and prosecutors; academics, law professors and researchers; students in the fields of law, international relations and sustainable development; NGO representatives; and lawyers in private practice.
e-Courses Course Calendar
Second Semester 2013
Introduction au droit
Du 2 au 4 décembre 2013
e-Course on the Law of Treaties
28 October to 22 November 2013
Download the course fact sheet
e-Courses on the Law of International Organizations
14 October to 8 November 2013
(available only in French)
e-Course on International Water Law
from 28 October to 29 November 2013
Download the Information Brochure
and send your CV and motivation letter