Vacancy Announcement – Individual Contractor - Programme Administrator
Project title, Programme: Office of Executive Director - Defeat-NCD Partnership
Deadline for applications: 24 January 2018
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Duration of contract: Fulltime and starting as soon as possible for six months. Part-time (at least 80% fulltime equivalent) appointment can be considered. Well-performing candidates will have the opportunity to be considered for longer-term positions subject to progress.
Areas of specialization: Project management and office administration
The Defeat-NCD Partnership (see detailed concept note) addresses the most significant global health problem of the age: premature death, sickness, and disability from selected no-communicable diseases. It will focus initially on diabetes and hypertension, and expand to other NCDs when feasible. The Partnership works by mobilizing global knowledge, tools, capacities, and finances to benefit resource-poor countries according to their specific needs and defined NCD action plans. This includes the populations of humanitarian concern that are hosted by them. The priority focus is on 49 least developed and low-income countries with technical capacity building support also available to a further 43 lower middle income countries.
The Defeat-NCD Partnership advances and sustains the achievement of Universal Health Coverage through enabling poorer populations at risk of NCDs to receive the prevention, screening, and treatment services they need through nationally-led health systems and health-care provision arrangements. This is a direct contribution to Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 3 on ensuring healthy lives and promoting well-being for all at all ages, and specifically target 3.4 to reduce by one-third premature mortality from NCDs by 2030.
The secretariat of the Defeat-NCD Partnership is located in Geneva, currently within the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR).
To support the Head of the Defeat-NCD Partnership in establishing the Partnership and in its effective and efficient day-to-day functioning.
- Familiarize oneself with the strategies, approaches, partnerships, and operating modalities of the Defeat-NCD Partnership including, in particular, acquiring a foundational understanding of policy and procedures for procurement, human resources, and financial management.
- Contacts with visitors and personnel, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes
- Compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, speeches, background information and documentation for meetings and missions
- Providing background materials and information and proposing solutions to queries from within and outside the office, by using appropriate technology and electronic systems and tools.
- Typing, editing for language and grammar, correcting and formatting, technical reports and documents, in accordance with the Partnership’s style
- Maintaining a filing system, hard copy and electronic files, reference materials and confidential records as required
- Assisting in the preparation of budgets and monitoring of expenditures against them, bringing to the attention of the supervisor any problem or discrepancy that warrants further review.
- Preparing travel authorization for Partnership personnel, arranging travel and hotel reservations, processing travel claims and requests for visas, identity cards and other documents.
- Translating simple correspondences, when needed
- Arranging for office supplies and maintenance of records on assets management
- Administrative and logistical support to meetings of the Steering committee, Consultative Group, and other conferences and workshops
- Following up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of reports
- Liaising and coordinating on administrative aspects with counterparts in the hosting agency.
- Helping to establish an effective database of contacts and supporting networking and exchange of information with partners
- Performing other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
- Effective and efficient functioning of office
- Timely and quality discharge of set tasks
Performance Indicators for Evaluation of Results
Timely submission of deliverables.
- A graduate (Bachelor’s degree) or equivalent experience
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of another UN language (especially French) will be a strong asset
- Strong computer skills
The incumbent reports to Dr Mukesh Kapila, UNITAR Senior Adviser
Negotiable based on qualifications and previous experience.
The general conditions of contracts for the services of Individual Contractor apply.
For further information or to express potential interest:
Please send a cv and write to Dr Mukesh Kapila on Secretariat@Defeat-NCD.org