Vacancy Announcement – Internship/Traineeship – Rapid Mapping Service
Organizational Unit: UNOSAT / Dept of Research
Duration of contract: 6 months
Indicative starting date: June / November 2018
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Deadline for Application: 15 May 2018
Area of Specialization/Thematic Areas
Geo-information, Remote Sensing
UNOSAT is the operational satellite applications programme of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR). It is a technology-intensive programme active since 2000 in applied research and innovative applications relating to geospatial information technology and satellite analysis, and mapping. UNOSAT also delivers to its beneficiaries tailor made training courses on the use of geo-information technology for humanitarian aid, human security, disaster risk management and environmental monitoring.
The intern/trainee will work for a period of six months with the UNOSAT team and will support UNOSAT rapid mapping activities for humanitarian issues.
Responsibilities/Description of Professional Services
The intern/trainee will support UNOSAT Rapid Mapping Service by contributing in operations by:
- Searching, requesting, downloading, preparing, storing and processing satellite imagery for analysis.
- Searching and preparing vector geospatial data to be integrated in geospatial products.
- Conducting satellite derived analysis in order to produce geospatial products in rapid time frames as needed.
- Producing and publishing high quality satellite derived outputs in different formats (data, maps, reports, live maps, images and vector services).
The intern/trainee will support UNOSAT Capacity and Development team by:
- Providing assistance, when required, for the preparation of material for training, awareness raising events and workshops.
Performing other duties as assigned.
By the end of the internship/traineeship, the incumbent will:
- Gain practical experience in the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and satellite imagery for Humanitarian relief;
- Increase knowledge on the use of GIS and satellite imagery within the UN system (applications, users and integrated solutions);
- Gain practical experience supporting capacity development activities, in particular through preparation of training materials;
- Apply time and management skills in order to respect tight deadlines.
Applicants should hold postgraduate studies in Geographic Information System (GIS), Remote Sensing or a related field.
Successful applicants will have an interest in natural hazards, risk assessments and international affairs, in particular natural disasters and risk reduction, humanitarian, environmental issues. Good skills in GIS software, in particular ArcMap, are required. Experience with remote sensing and image processing using ESRI software, ERDAS Imagine, ENVI, or an equivalent software package is desired, as is the ability to program in Python and undertake web development or server administration tasks. High proficiency in English language is desired.
Dates and Duration
Start date: May 2018
Duration: 06 months
Fluency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of French or another official UN language is an advantage
Please note that this is a non-remunerated positon. General conditions of contracts for the service of internship/traineeship apply.
How to apply
Send your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com quoting “Internship/Traineeship – Rapid Mapping Service” in your subject line.