Information technology (IT) has become a driving force behind the way people communicate, organize their activities and produce outputs. Indeed, IT is one of the defining characteristics of the 21st century, making the world ever faster and smaller. With the launch of the United Nations Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT) in February 2009, IT is figuring more prominently in the working methods of the Organization. This trend requires delegates at Permanent Missions to the United Nations in New York not only to be computer literate, but also to be adept at using its various applications and social media channels. Since 2002 the Continued IT Education (CITE) has been offering a self-paced online programme in response to New York-based delegates’ demands for a cutting edge computer skills training.
- Manoeuvre the basic applications of IT, such as Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Windows XP;
- Further develop their skills through tailor-made training according to individual professional development needs, including advanced IT training and certification;
- Communicate, manage information and reach out to distant audiences with ease and efficiency.
Using online platforms and individualized training sessions, the programme offers the following sample courses:
- Database and email applications (e.g. Microsoft Access, Outlook, and Lotus Notes);
- Internet Explorer and different operating systems such as Windows XP;
- Presentation applications including PowerPoint and Corel;
- Spreadsheet applications including Excel;
- Advanced IT training and certification- for example, CISSP (certified information systems security professional);
- Business writing;
- Project management;
- And more...
CITE provides a blended learning opportunity, combining “assisted and virtual labs” and “e-learning platforms”:
- To meet delegates’ demand for course flexibility and individualized support, in-person assisted-labs are available throughout the year by appointment.
- The course partners with Enterprise Training, a leading provider of certified computer-based training, to offer a wide range of e-learning courses. A complete course listing can be found at http://www.enterprisetraining.com/catalog.php
While enrolled in the programme, participants have unlimited access to thousands of courses available through CITE at the convenience of their homes or offices.
CITE is offered to members from permanent missions to the United Nations in New York who would like to fine-tune their IT skills. All participants must have access to a computer and broadband internet connection.
Working Language: The course is conducted primarily in English, but a limited number of online courses may be available in other languages (please contact UNITAR for questions regarding language availability). Individualized instruction is offered only in English.
24 Apr 2013
19 Apr 2013
18 Apr 2013
05 Apr 2013
The “Manual for UN Delegates – Conference Process, Procedure and Negotiation” is UNITAR, MDPs latest Publication. It targets newcomers to conference diplomacy as well as experienced conference delegates who find themselves assigned to represent their government in international organizations, conferences and negotiations.
PGA Handbook 2011
Courtesy of the Permanent Mission of New Zealand (PDF). Hard copy available for purchase or at the UN boosktore.