Umuahia, Abia State, Niger Delta Region. 15-20 June 2009 - The Nigerian UNITAR office, in partnership with the Abia State Government organised a capacity building workshop on participatory approaches to strengthen community development associations for the benefit of State and local government agencies and NGOs.
This six-day programme aimed at strengthening democratic systems through community governance, peace initiatives and economic development in the Niger Delta Region. It also aimed at enhancing the capacity of local associations in their ability to choose, initiate, manage and maintain projects in a sustainable manner. A total of 30 participants from various local government councils and community based institutions took part in the training.
- Participatory project management
- Local enterprise development initiatives
- Governance, peace and conflict detection and management
- Participatory approaches to the identification, prioritization, implementation and management of projects for sustainable development
- Project partnership and monitoring campaigns and
- Improve community-based business management structures