UNITAR and the Government of Ecuador Promoting Thinking on Urban Issues
September 2016, Geneva, Switzerland - With the objective of promoting thinking on urban related topics and raising awareness about issues related to the United Nations Conference on Housing and Urban Sustainable Development (Habitat III), UNITAR in collaboration with the Ecuadorian Ministry of Housing and Urban Development (MIDUVI) delivered 10 webinars between 13 June and 7 September 2016.
The webinars were delivered by renowned experts from around the world who covered five broad areas as follows: Social Cohesion and Inclusive Cities; Urban Frameworks; Urban Planning and Environment; Housing and Basic Services; and Urban Challenges.
Overall, 1462 participants from Ecuador and worldwide joined the webinars. The participants received a certificate of attendance and 98% of them indicated that these webinars were useful for their professional development.
With a commitment to continue raising awareness about the themes of Habitat III, MIDUVI and UNITAR has made available all materials used on the different webinars:
- Inclusive Cities and the New Urban Agenda by Dr. Carolyn Whitzman
- Social Cohesion, Equitable Cities and the Right to the City by Dr. Gustavo Duran
- Urban Law by Dr. Arturo Mejia
- Municipal Finance by Dr. Vito Intini and Dr. Dmitry Pozhidaev
- Environment and resilience in cities by Dr. Carolina Proano
- Urban Planning and Disaster Risk Management by Dr. Graham Brewer, Dr. Sanjaya Bathia, and Captain Steve O’keefe
- Urban Housing by Dr. Maria Elena Acosta
- Policies to improve freight transport systems in cities by Dr. Jose Holguin-Veras
- Public-Private Partnerships for Sustainable Development by Dr. Corinne Namblard
- From vision to reality – Challenges for the implementation of the New Urban Agenda by Dr. Barbara Scholz