Data analysis, expert level (Consultant) - Home-based
Fees: to be defined in accordance with competences and experience of the candidate (payment for the finished product).
Area of Specialization/Thematic Areas
Data analysis, expert level
Overview (quick description of the funded project and its context)
The Strategic Implementation of the 2030 Agenda Unit is part of UNITAR’s Division for Satellite Analysis and Applied Research. The Unit is supporting the holistic and evidence-based implementation of the 2030 Agenda and SDGs through training, learning, advisory services and multi-stakeholder engagement. In the context of this initiative, UNITAR is designing and delivering training and stakeholder workshops, offering tailored methodological support and developing and delivering e-learning to support the mainstreaming and implementation of the 2030 Agenda in UN Member States.
One of the main result areas of its Capacity for the 2030 Agenda 2.0 initiative is related to better availability and use of data to inform decision-making for the SDGs. Under this result area, the Unit is developing a new curriculum to strengthen data analysis skills in connection with the development of strategies, programmes and policies for the SDGs.
General objectives of the contract:
Under the supervision of the Senior Specialist, Strategic Implementation of the 2030 Agenda Unit, the consultant will contribute to the development of an initial curriculum on data analysis to enable more effective use of data in the implementation of the SDGs.
Responsibilities/description of professional services
More specifically, the consultant will
- Provide inputs for the development of a draft needs assessment survey;
- Analyze the survey results and summarize main findings in terms of the implications for the curriculum and the training programme itself;
- Provide inputs for an initial outline of the future data analysis training curriculum based on these findings from the survey;
- Contribute to an initial draft of the training curriculum, including leanring outcomes at the level of courses/modules, content, delivery modes and specific methodologies;
- Integrate feedback and comments.in the respective curriculum components.
Measurable outputs/deliverables/schedule of deliverables
- Inputs for the draft needs assessment survey (Week 1)
- Summary of the survey findings (Week 5)
- Inputs for the outline of the curriculum (Week 6)
- Draft curriculum components developed (Weeks 7-8)
- Changes made to integrate feedback (Week 9)
Performance Indicators for evaluation of results
- Relevance of the questions in the needs assessment and relevance of the curriculum components and learning objectives to the needs of UN member States in data analysis to inform strategic planning, programming, budgeting and evaluation of public policies and programmes;
- Effectiveness of the content and methodologies proposed in the curriculum to achieve stated learning outcomes;
- Content and methodologies reflect most-up-to-date information and practice;
- Substantive and pedagogical guidance from UNITAR is reflected to ensure compliance with the Quality Assurance Framework of UNITAR;
- Timeliness of deliverables.
The consultant will report to the Senior Specialist, Strategic Implementation of the 2030 Agenda Unit.
PhD in Economics, Statistics or other quantitative discipline. Master of Science degree can be accepted with 2 more years of relevant experience.
Minimum 7-10 years of work experience with data analysis in support of policy design and implementation for use by national governments. Experience with the development of educational or training programmes or teaching/acting as a trainer.
Fluency in written and oral English is required.
As soon as possible.
General conditions of contracts for the service of consultants and individual contractors apply.
Please send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 September 2020.