Individual Contractor - Administrative Support (60-80% occupancy level)
Administrative support in the area of capacity development, learning, and training on Sustainable Development Goals
The Strategic Implementation of the 2030 Agenda Unit is supporting the holistic and evidence-based implementation of the 2030 Agenda and SDGs through training, learning, advisory services, and multi-stakeholder engagement. In the context of this initiative, UNITAR is implementing capacity development projects aimed at delivery of learning services, providing advisory support and implementation of research projects to support the mainstreaming, implementation of and monitoring of progress on the 2030 Agenda in the UN Member States by public, private and civil society sectors.
The incumbent will join the team in charge of the implementation of capacity development, learning, and applied research projects to support the SDGs and will provide administrative support to the team as part of the projects’ delivery.
Under the supervision of the Senior Specialist, Strategic Implementation of the 2030 Agenda, the individual contractor will be involved in supporting projects’ delivery and will work in close collaboration with other team members and colleagues from the Operations Division of UNITAR.
- Provide administrative support in the preparation, processing, follow-up, and closure of HR contracts for consultants, individual contractors, trainees, and other collaborators hired by the team;
- Provide administrative support in the preparation of procurement requests and follow-up on payments related to the team’s operations and activities;
- Provide support in preparing budgets and in tracking and earmarking expenditures against results as may be required for team projects;
- Provide support in organizing travel for the team, consultants, and workshops participants and following up on travel closure as may be required;
- Provide secretarial, other administrative support and logistics support in the organization and implementation of training, advisory, and research activities, incl. communications with participants, consultants, service providers, partners, etc.;
- Provide daily office support to the team (e.g. arrangements for meetings and other events, badge requests for staff and visitors, mail, responding to information requests, etc.), and prepares and/or processes administrative requests/documents and maintains administrative files and records (e.g. purchase orders, contracts, visa applications, etc.).;
- Provide support occasionally on translations English-French if required.
- Handles HR, procurement, and travel requests, follow-ups, and closure in a timely manner and in compliance with UNITAR’s procedures, rules, and regulations;
- Makes online/travel and other logistical arrangements for missions and training events, as well as other logistical arrangements in an effective and efficient manner;
- Calculates budgets and keeps financial records;
- Maintains archives for all administrative work;
- Effectively and autonomously delivers on a wide range of administrative and office support functions.
- Establishes effective working relationships with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Timeliness in meeting internal administrative and project deadlines;
- Appropriate application of UN and UNITAR policies, procedures, and guidelines to HR, procurement, travel, and other arrangements;
- Priority-setting applied to ensure key results are met and administrative timelines are respected;
- Client-orientation is used when working with resource persons and participants;
- Autonomy in implementing regular tasks;
- Accuracy in calculations, provided information and drafted correspondence and documents;
- Issues/problems when arise are addressed on time.
The individual contractor will be reporting to the Senior Specialist, Strategic Implementation of the 2030 Agenda Unit.
Professionalism – Knowledge of HR, procurement, and travel-related processing requirements as well as general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes, and procedures; ability to recognize and act in the face of conflicting priorities; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communications – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with a final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning& Organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within the prescribed time, cost, and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Client Orientation - Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to the client.
Technological Awareness – Good computer user skills and knowledge of MS Office, and standard applications.
A first-level university degree. High school diploma will be sufficient provided the candidate has 2 additional years of experience.
A minimum of 3 years of experience in administrative and secretarial work, travel processing, event administration. Experience in general office support is desirable.
Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French is highly desirable.
General conditions of contracts for the service of consultants and individual contractors apply.