Individual Contractor - Statistician (mid-level)
Official statistics, new data sources, statistical planning, data governance, research, capacity development, training and learning, citizen science data, data analysis
The Strategic Implementation of the 2030 Agenda Unit is supporting the holistic and evidence-based implementation of the 2030 Agenda and SDGs through training, learning, advisory services, and multi-stakeholder engagement. In the context of this initiative, UNITAR is implementing capacity development projects aimed at delivery of learning services, providing advisory support and implementation of research projects to support the mainstreaming, implementation of and monitoring of progress on the 2030 Agenda in the UN Member States by public, private and civil society sectors.
Official statistics and data represent an important pillar of the team’s work covering research, capacity development, learning in areas related to data governance, coordination, planning, leveraging of partnerships and new data sources, in particular citizen science data, data analysis and monitoring SDG indicators. In particular, the individual contractor will contribute to 2 projects: 1. Crowd4SDG and 2. Capacity for the 2030 Agenda 2.0. For this second project, the components will include work related to the StaTact tool, a web application developed by UNITAR in partnership with UNSD for use by NSOs and international organizations/development cooperation partners, and learning activities related to official statistics, data analysis, etc.
The incumbent will join the team in charge of the implementation of applied research, capacity development, action planning and learning projects to support the SDGs and will provide contribute and support activities related to data and statistics for the SDGs with a focus a) leveraging citizen science data and b) strengthening statistical planning, capacity development and learning.
Under the supervision of the Senior Specialist, Strategic Implementation of the 2030 Agenda, the individual contractor will be involved in contributing to and supporting the projects related to data and statistics for the SDGs and will also have close interactions with other team members.
a) Citizen science component:
- Promoting the recommendations of the recent Crowd4SDG report led by UNITAR (April 2021) on the needs and quality considerations of citizen science data for monitoring SDGs from the perspectives of NSOs and collecting feedback;
- Providing support to pilots in interested countries by following up on potential pilots, connecting NSOs/NSSs with relevant partners from citizen science organizations and Universities, running remote meetings and coaching sessions and providing relevant remote support to countries;
- Identifying new case studies and interesting practices and lessons learnt to promote the broader us of citizen science data by NSOs and policy-makers;
- Contributing to the comparison of data quality requirements from the official statistics viewpoint and the scientific viewpoint represented by several Crowd4SDG partners in direct collaboration with the latter;
- Contributing to the data usability assessments for the datasets coming out of the pilots, work of the Crowd4SDG partners and the GEAR cycle (innovation cycle) teams;
- Providing support to the GEAR cycle led by the Consortium Coordinator, incl. contributing to the call for applications, identification of experts for juries and mentoring, contributing to mentoring or coaching/lectures as may be required (topics for 2021 – climate change and gender, for 2022 – climate change and Goal 16);
- Participating in relevant meetings – Crowd4SDG but also others organized by or for citizen science communities.
b) Strengthening statistical planning, capacity development and learning:
- Following up with and supporting interested countries on the deployment of the StaTact tool;
- Running StaTact webinars and training activities at regional and national levels;
- Presenting StaTact to development cooperation agencies and international organizations to enable its broader use;
- Following up on web development, possible fine-tuning and updates to StaTact;
- Providing support to the coordination of the design and delivery of other learning and training activities on data analysis and official statistics;
- Contributing to project proposals;
- Participating in interagency meetings when requested by supervisor.
- Number of citizen science pilots.
- Research files with case studies.
- Number of datasets analyzed on data usability.
- Contributions to the GEAR cycle 2.
- Number of new countries using StaTact.
- Number of countries/participants reached through StaTact training events.
- New partners to whom StaTact was introduced.
- Relevance and effectiveness of support provided to pilot countries on citizen science data;
- Relevance of contributions to the Crowd4SDG GEAR cycle given the themes of the cycle;
- Quality of rsearch files and thoroughness of analysis acommpanied by concrete recommendations.
- Effectiveness of support provided to countries on StaTact use and that of related learning events.
- Effectivness of coordination of th development and delivery of e-elarnign and training events.
- Robust inputs to project proposals;
- Timeliness of deliverables.
The individual contractor will be reporting to the Senior Specialist, Strategic Implementation of the 2030 Agenda Unit.
Professionalism – Knowledge of official statistics, related governance, partnerships and planning aspects, good understanding of the potential and direct with experience with new data sources, in particular citizen science, and that of machine learning; knwoledge of UN policies, processes, and procedures; ability to recognize and act in the face of conflicting priorities; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communications – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with a final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning& Organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within the prescribed time, cost, and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Client Orientation - Considers all those to whom services are provided – NSOs and individual learners - to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to the client.
Technological Awareness – Good knowledge of core statistical applications (in particular R), good computer user skills and knowledge of MS Office, incl. presentation skills, and standard applications.
A Master degree in Statistics or similar area is required.
A minimum of 5 years of professional experience working with official statistics, including some experience with citizen science data and with other new data sources/machine learning.
Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
General conditions of contracts for the service of consultants and individual contractors apply.
Send the UN P11 form/ Curriculum Vitae as well as a letter of motivation to email@example.com quoting 'Individual Contractor – Statistician, mid-level' in your subject line. Kindly note that interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.