Traineeship - Human Resources Administration
An autonomous UN body established in 1963, the United Nations Institute for Training and Research is a training arm of the United Nations System, and has the mandate to enhance the effectiveness of the UN through capacity development activities. The institute contributes to the enhancement of impact of national actions through awareness-raising, education and training of government officials.
UNITAR provides learning and training products, assisting mainly developing countries with special attention to Least Developed Countries (LDCs), Small Island Developing States (SIDS) and other groups and communities who are most vulnerable, including those in conflict situations. The Institute covers topics in the broad areas of supporting capacity for the 2030 Agenda, strengthening multilateralism, advancing environmental sustainability and green development, improving resilience and humanitarian assistance, promoting sustainable peace, and promoting economic development and social inclusion. It also conducts research on innovative learning approaches, methods, and tools, as well as applied research to address critical global issues, such as disaster risk reduction and humanitarian emergencies.
- Assist in the Recruitment and Placement of staff and collaborators by:
- Reviewing applications on the selection of a candidate by Programme Unit or Division.
- Preparing documentation for panel meetings and arranging logistics.
- Preparing and presenting cases to the appointment and promotion board.
- Coordinating various UNITAR Traineeship and Collaborator Programmes.
- Up-dating the Regional and Gender chart on a regular basis.
- Assist in the contract management by:
- Preparing contracts for Fellows, Consultants, Individual Contractors, Trainees and Collaborators, and processing their evaluations.
- Carrying out the induction and separation of Consultants, Individual Contactors, Trainees and Collaborators.
- Assist in HRU office administration by:
- Creating and maintaining Human Resources database and filing system.
- Preparing HR-related attestations/certificates for Staff, Fellow, and Collaborators.
- Producing a variety of routing correspondence, HR-related statistics and reports.
- Reviewing and processing Mission Authorizations for UNITAR Directors.
- Managing office supplies and equipment.
- Assist in the Staff development and career support training by:
- Coordinating logistical arrangements for staff training.
- Preparing training certificates.
- Consolidating training evaluations when requested by supervisor.
- Gain knowledge on the UN human resources rules, regulations, and practices.
- Develop planning and organizational skills in staff development and career support.
- Develop communication skills and develop client orientation approach while working with staff at large.
- Positive feedback from clients regarding services provided.
- Outputs are of high quality.
- Outputs are delivered in a timely fashion.
Effective delivery of a wide range of administrative and HR support functions under moderate supervision. Establishment of effective working relationships with internal and external contacts at all levels.
The Trainee reports to Human Resources Assistant.
Applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate/postgraduate degree (within either in human resources, business management, law, social science, public management, or a related subject), or be a recent graduate of the aforementioned (if selected, they must commence the traineeship within two years of graduation).
Applicants should also have:
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner;
- Administrative and organizational skills to assist in daily office work;
- Strong Computer skills (to deal with word processing, excel, power point, internet search, etc.);
- Ability to pay attention to details;
- A high level of individual responsibility, commitment and initiative.
Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.
Costs and arrangements for travel, visas, accommodation, and living expenses are the responsibilities of trainees and their sponsoring institutions.
In order to cover transportation or other miscellaneous expenses during the traineeship, a monthly lump-sum of 700 CHF will be provided by UNITAR.
Trainees are not considered as staff members and shall not represent the Institute in any official capacity.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
Please send your P11 and motivation letter to email@example.com with following subject line: “HRU – HR Administration Traineeship”. Only successfully selected candidates will be contacted by.