Traineeship - Pre-deployment Training and Advisory Team
Peacekeeping, Security sector, Gender Equality, Training.
UNITAR is an autonomous body within the United Nations that was established in 1965 pursuant to a UN General Assembly resolution. UNITAR’s mission is to develop the individual, institutional and organisational capacities of countries and other United Nations stakeholders through high quality learning solutions and related knowledge products and services to enhance decision-making and to support country-level action for overcoming global challenges.
UNITAR Division for Peace groups together all programming in the fields of conflict prevention, peace-making, peacekeeping, and peacebuilding to provide the most comprehensive support to the promotion of peace, justice and strong institutions worldwide, thereby essentially advancing the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 16. In the view of promoting democratic governance and human rights, the Division focuses on offering innovative capacity-building and knowledge-management solutions for a broad range personnel (including uniformed personnel, representatives of regional and international organizations, United Nations staff, women peacemakers, minority and indigenous peoples’ representatives) working towards sustaining peace, while ensuring that these activities meet the specific needs of conflict-affected and post-conflict countries.
The Trainee will work closely with the Pre-deployment Training and Advisory Team and provide support with various projects related to peacekeeping, gender, education and similar fields.
- Support with the design and implementation of planned project activities.
- Support the administration and delivery of online and face to face trainings.
- Conduct in-depth research in the areas of peacekeeping, security sector, gender equality and inclusivity in United Nations Peacekeeping, education and similar areas.
- Support with the communication around the PDTA activities (preparation of communication and promotional materials, social media posts, etc.)
- Support with drafting, editing and proofreading of documents and training materials.
- Provide support with translation from English into French and reversely.
- Provide logistical and administrative support for the PDTA activities.
- Support with the management of online course.
- Assisting in the day-to-day operational requirements
Timely and quality submission of the deliverables; activities implemented with a high degree of effectiveness and efficiency, demonstrating a high degree of professionalism of the Trainee and contributing to an increase in the professional image of the Institute.
- Master's degree or equivalent in gender studies, international relations, political sciences, social sciences, inclusion and diversity, education, or other related fields; or an undergraduate degree in a similar relevant field, from an accredited and recognised academic institution, combined with work experience, is required.
- Applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate/postgraduate degree or be a recent graduate with the qualifications listed above (if selected, they must commence the traineeship within two years of graduation).
The ideal candidate must demonstrate a strong interest in learning, training, inclusivity, gender equality, gender mainstreaming, women empowerment strategies, research and drafting.
- The applicant has organizational skills, shows initiative and dedication, and demonstrates independence at work.
- The candidate is a self-starter, out of the box thinker, and solution oriented. In addition, good communication skills (both written and oral) are essential to be able to work with various stakeholders from different cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Motivation for continuous learning, including learning about peacekeeping, gender equality in the security sector, is essential.
- Knowledge of using social media and other applications is desirable.
Languages: Fluency in spoken and written English and French is required.
Other skills: Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite) are required. Proficiency in writing, editing and presentation skills.
- Hands-on experience with the United Nations.
- Work in a multicultural context.
- Inspiring and energetic working environment.
- Continuous support and guidance.
Costs and arrangements for travel, visas, accommodation, and living expenses are the responsibilities of trainees and their sponsoring institutions.
In order to cover transportation or other miscellaneous expenses during the traineeship, a monthly lump-sum of 700 CHF will be provided by UNITAR.
Trainees are not considered as staff members and shall not represent the Institute in any official capacity.
UNITAR shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). Priority will be given to the applicants from the under-represented regions at UNITAR.
Interested candidates should submit an up-to-date CV/P11 form and a one-page maximum motivation letter with the following email subject line "Trainee – Pre-deployment Training and Advisory Team", outlining specific interest in supporting this initiative to email@example.com. Due to the high number of expected applications, UNITAR will only contact the shortlisted applicants.