Training Assistant, French mother-tongue (Traineeship) - Geneva, Switzerland
In accordance with relevant UN regulations and policies, traineeships/internships are non-remunerated. However, UNITAR provides a monthly allowance of CHF700.
The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) is a training arm of the United Nations System and a strategic driver in today’s global and essential role of the UN by empowering individuals, governments and organizations through knowledge and learning to effectively overcome contemporary global challenges. UNITAR serves 130,000 beneficiaries annually by conducting over 500 capacity development and research activities around the world.
The Public Finance and Trade Programme Unit (PFTPU) – a training portfolio of UNITAR’s Division for Prosperity - supports the Institute’s mission by delivering training, knowledge exchange and capacity development activities in promoting economic development and social inclusion as well as in strengthening multilateralism amongst UN-member countries.
More concretely, PFTPU addresses three thematic areas: namely, Public Finance, Trade, and Intellectual Property, with a view to develop knowledge, skills and awareness among delegates, government officials and policy makers to understand the issues at hand and effectively address institutional- and country-level action to achieve their development objectives. Such an approach has become more relevant with the urgent need for collective action to achieve the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
PFTPU also develops strategic partnerships with national and international organizations as well as other renowned institutions to reach-out to more beneficiaries in a cost-effective manner and to share respective expertise and resources.
UNITAR’s traineeship programme allows young professionals to put their talent and expertise into the service of the United Nations by contributing concretely in research, development, delivery and evaluation of various real-world projects and activities undertaken by the Programme Unit and the institute in general.
General Objectives of the Traineeship Contract
This traineeship is designed primarily to support the programme unit in working with regional and international institutions by assisting the Programme Manager in resource mobilization activities, research on new trends and emerging partnership opportunities, development of new projects and proposals, translation of official documents, organizing meetings and training activities for delegates while ensuring compliance to quality assurance guidelines and reporting requirements of the institute.
Responsibilities/Description of Professional Services
The trainee will be involved in various activities such as:
- Organizing training activities (e-Learning and eWorkshops).
- Developing project proposals to showcase Programme activities and achievements and expand collaboration with other organizations.
- Conducting research and analysis on new trends, challenges and training services to support the Agenda 2030.
- Aligning the course materials to the quality guidelines of UNITAR.
- Supporting outreach and marketing activities to promote and disseminate training documentation to inform beneficiaries and potential partners about upcoming activities with a view of expanding participation and partnership from developing countries and LDCs.
- Backstopping on-going projects and initiatives.
- Assisting in the day-to-day operational requirements.
Measurable outputs/Deliverables/Schedule of Deliverables
- Events managed/assisted and efficient course administration and prompt response to participant inquiries.
- Regional/international institutions engaged to expand partnership and collaboration with UNITAR.
- Courses aligned with the quality standard of UNITAR.
- Quality and timeliness of deliverables.
- Accurate reporting of activities including statistical data.
Performance Indicators for Evaluation of Results
- Number of events/projects managed/assisted/implemented.
- Number of new courses self-checked/evaluated.
- Number of new partnerships identified and engaged.
- Number of projects completed within the assigned deadline.
- Number of course/project reports completed.
The projects and activities allow trainees to:
- Plan, organize, and manage training activities of the Public Finance and Trade Programme Unit.
- Assist the programme in developing new and innovative partnership with institutions globally.
- Evaluate and apply the quality requirements of UNITAR on its course materials.
- Assess and evaluate the results and effectiveness of training activities handled.
The incumbent reports directly and will be guided on a day-to-day basis by the Specialist, Public Finance and Trade Programme Unit.
Given the nature of the projects, we are particularly interested in the following profile:
- Academic and/or professional background in finance, trade, business administration, marketing, communications, training or related field,
- French mother-tongue,
- Excellent oral and written communications skills,
- Preferably with experience in instructional design and adult learning methodologies,
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details,
- Ability to work with extended and remote teams, and
- Availability for 4 months, full-time.
- Good knowledge of English and or Spanish is an advantage,
- Knowledge of Course Authoring Tools is an advantage,
Please send your curriculum vitae and letter of motivation, explaining why you are suited for this traineeship/internship to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that you attach your letter of motivation as a separate document, rather than in the e-mail text. Due to the high number of applications expected, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.