Training Expert (Consultant) - Home-based with some travels required
The incumbent will work on a project basis for UNITAR and will be paid per days of assignment.
The growing number of violent movements and intra-state conflicts provides a severe threat to stability, peace and security worldwide. Complex linkages at the local, regional and global level demand innovative approaches for their prevention and resolution. Taking the right actions on the local level, connect the relevant stakeholders across boundaries, foster exchange, transfer knowledge and change mindsets and behavior are only a few of many critical steps in this endeavor.
The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) is a training arm of the United Nations System, serving approx.83,000 beneficiaries last year by conducting close to 600 capacity development and research activities around the world. The Institute empowers individuals, governments and organizations through knowledge and learning to effectively overcome contemporary global challenges.
The Mission of UNITAR is to develop capacities of individuals, organizations and institutions to enhance global decision-making and to support country-level action for shaping a better future. Training targets include two key groups of beneficiaries: the delegates to the United Nations and others who develop intergovernmental agreements establishing global norms, policies, and programmes, and the key national change agents who turn the global agreements into action at the national level.
Recognizing that peace is a pre-requisite for sustainable development, UNITAR’s mission is to enable people and institutions to make meaningful contributions towards the peaceful resolution of conflicts and the building of lasting peace. The Institute offers people-centric solutions to address capacity gaps by transferring knowledge and skills and contributing to the transformation of attitudes and behaviours.
For the development and delivery of various training and capacity-development activities, UNITAR regularly brings in external expertise through subject matter and training experts. The UNITAR Division for Peace is now accepting applications of training and subject matter experts with expertise in the following areas:
- Conflict Analysis,
- Conflict Prevention and Resolution,
- Mediation (incl. gender responsive mediation techniques),
- Transitional Justice (grassroots level),
- Peace agreement drafting.
The training and subject matter experts will facilitate training activities, contribute to the development of training materials as well as provide advice to the Staff of the Division for Peace. First assignments are foreseen in February and March 2020 with a geographical focus on the MENA region. In January the subject matter and training experts will work together with Headquarter Staff on the preparation of the training activities.
Working with UNITAR, one will learn how the UN designs, develops and implements comprehensive initiatives. Target audiences for these initiatives range from military and police personnel to civil society leaders including women and youth leaders in post-conflict contexts, or contexts affected by dynamics of armed conflict.
- Facilitate UNITAR capacity-building and training activities in the MENA region and Europe in partnership with other regional and International Organizations
- Support the design and development of training materials in the above-mentioned thematic areas
- Support the design, development and implementation of UNITAR’s programmatic responses to support UN Member States in post-conflict contexts or affected by dynamics of armed conflict.
- Conduct country focused or thematic research and analysis to support the design, development and implementation of projects in the MENA region
- At least 5 years of experience in facilitating face-to-face trainings and adult learning events
- Advanced expertise and at least 5 years of professional experience and/or an academic background in at least one of the following areas:
- Conflict Analysis
- Conflict Prevention and Resolution
- Mediation (incl. gender responsive mediation techniques)
- grassroots level Transitional Justice
- Peace agreement drafting
- Ability to facilitate training events in Arabic;
- Ability to draft clearly and concisely in English and Arabic;
- Readiness to travel for the delivery of training events;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Working knowledge in MS Office Suite;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team;
- Diligence and professional commitment;
- Ability to deliver within a tight time frame and to multitask;
- Interest in international relations, United Nations and sustainable development;
- Candidates must have an advanced knowledge of Arabic and English (C1/C2).
- Track-record of facilitated trainings;
- Academic or research related publications;
- Previous experience in working with government organizations, think tanks, academia, or non-profit organizations;
- Knowledge of French will be considered an asset.
What we offer
- Hands-on experience with the United Nations;
- Engagement in real projects on peace and security as a full member of the team;
- Work in a multicultural environment;
- Continuous support and guidance.
- The incumbent will work on a project basis for UNITAR and will be paid per days of assignment.
- The incumbent will work from home/distance and is required to travel for the delivery of face-to-face training activities.
Send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Consultant / Training Expert: Division for Peace” in the subject line. The deadline is rolling until the vacancies are closed. First assignments are planned for January and February.